Aquarium reseal!!

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
hey guys i know i have not been on in a LONG time and out of the hobby for the same length... how you guys been? but as the title says does anyone know a person or company that can reseal a tank?

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Glad to have you back and I'm not sure of any company that does it. Depending on the size most usually do it themselves

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya dont know of any place that does it, but its very simple to do yourself. A few simple steps

1) cut out all of the silicon seal (dont cut out the silicon holding the glass together though)
2) Clean up edges with razor blade and rubbing alcohol
3) mask off both sides of every edge
4) lay bead of aquarium safe silicon
5) remove tape before the silicon starts to cure
6) let cure 2-3 days
7) drink beers and watch it cure.

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
thanks guys the tank is a 93 rimless so im a bit scared to do it myself

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
ya I think everyone is a bit nervous the first time, but it really is super easy. The hardest part is the cleaning part, and only because it takes awhile, but the actual re-seal of the tank only takes a few minutes.

quackenbush

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I recently did my 120. Taping was the worst part. I was pretty nervous and not the neatest person in the world, but it turned out great. I have a tube of RTV108 ($10) if you are intereseted.

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would really like to take the tank apart and use black silicone.. Once I get back if anyone would be willing to help me I can compensate them for their time

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ive done two so far, and they arent that bad. Takes a really long time and a lot of scraping to get the old silicone out. And, you have about 5-7 minutes to get the tape pulled when you silicone the seams. It sets up way fast. And when it does, it leaves a hard edge where the tape pulls, and there is no way to smooth it out (rtv 108) Did that on both tanks on the last pieces of tape. Ideally have someone putting the silicone down, and one person immediately smoothing it out, and another person pulling tape right away.

Next tank, Im buying new, haha!