Aquarium sealant?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have this and it says it's 100% silicone. Any opinions on whether I could use it to install baffles in a sump?
Thanks!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
What you need to worry about with hardware store silicone is if it has the anti mold in it. That will make quick work of any coral you add.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've read that as long as it doesn't have a special purpose like mold or mill due resistant and 100% silicone it "should" be fine

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The stuff you have is the "GE Silicone II"...that version has the mold/mildew retardant in there, which could be detrimental to your tank. That being said...I've heard several people say they use it without issue, but it's not worth the risk IMO.

What you want is "GE Silicone I" if you are just picking up something from the hardware store. Instead of a gold label, it has a silver label. The stuff Chad linked works as well...just a PITA to find at the store when I go and I honestly prefer to use the larger dispenser with the gun.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks guys! I ordered some aquarium safe silicone and will leave this on the shelf for another day.
I think my Home Depot has the dap brand and I also found some from petco to.