are these looking right?

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Striped Mushrooms and some sort of Palythoa. They don't need much in terms of light or strict water requirements... some of the easier corals out there.

Matt_Arian

For Stuffing!
M.A.S.C Club Member
Corals are finicky creatures. Their color may improve over time as they settle in and adjust to their new home, they might not. Lighting will always make the difference when it comes to fluorescing corals, though. The 400-460nm actinic lights (MH, CFL, LED, T-5, T-8, etc.) will really make them pop and is beneficial for the zooxanthelae chloroplasts (in other words, it makes them grow). Luckily for you, your corals are found in low light habitats in the ocean so you won't have to worry about pumping out the wattage, as you would with acropora or other exposed reef corals. Generally speaking, for soft corals and most LPS, lighting can be supplemented by feeding. Just keep your eyes on the water parameters if you do target feeding, as the extra food can cause ammonia spikes. Check out the Helpful Tips and Compendium of Resources sections of the forum for more advice and links for sites that will show you what you need to know, specifically.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Who knows. Some stuff is not just colorful. The shrooms look like they could color up a bit. The paly don't look like colorful ones to me. Without seeing them in other tanks, or the tank that you got them out of, it is hard to tell.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya shrooms and palys. They may be just not very colorful, or they might be colorful but you color combo in your lights doesnt bring out the colors well, or they have lost some of their color due to stress and may color up better once they have been in a stable enviro for a few months or more. Id just wait and see if they color up and if not then try some different color combos on your lights. What kind of lights you have on it now?

I got a shroom awhile back from J.Goukas that when he gave it to me it was light brown almost bleached. He didnt know what kind it was and didnt have room for it. After a few months in my tank it began to get its color back, now it is a blue base, with bright purple tentacles and an orange ring around the outside edge of it. Turned out to be a very pretty shroom in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Purple mushrooms and button polyps (palythoa). Their color wont get a lot better than you you see now regardless of water quality or lighting. Those particular corals are a bit dull no matter what. If you want sime nice colors in easy to maintain beginner corals, look into ricordia mushrooms and zoanthids.

Also, keep a close eye on both of those. They spread like wildfire and I ended up kalk pasting them in my tank to kill them off since they take over quick and dont bring a lot of pop to the tank.

Last edited by a moderator: