ASM Skimmer Mods! Anyone out there try them?

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've decided to do some mods to my ASM G-4+ skimmer. Anyone else out there try this?

Let me know results, what you tried, what you liked/didn't like, etc. If you don't have an ASM and you're a DIY genius (well that's pretty much all of MASC except me), let me know any thoughts/suggestions/feedback you have.

Here's what I researched but won't do: recirc mod (per Lougling looks like this gets mixed results?). Skimmer drain collection cup mod (no interest in dumping my sump on the floor).

Here's what I will do:
1. Bubble plate and bottom mounted pump mod - I'll do exactly what this guy has done:
http://www.azreefs.com/forums/showthread.php?2508-ULTIMATE-ASM-G-series-Skimmer-Mod

2. Gate valve mod (allow tuning skimmer level without getting your hand wet). Question: Which way should I do it??? Like the first pic, or the second? Does it matter if the durso type pipe is before or after the gate valve?

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I haven't done either of those. I know a lot of people do the gate mod but I don't mind moving the tube up and down. I have done the pump mod and that made a huge difference in the amount of bubbles produced. Pretty simple and I have the material you need to do it if you want some...

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
fiji4118;235083 said:
I have done the pump mod and that made a huge difference in the amount of bubbles produced.
Hey Adam, what is this? I can't seem to find what this mod is. Thanks for that offer - may take you up on it!

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Adam, very interesting, I may just try this. Maybe I will also change orientation/position of the pump so as to eliminate the elbow outside the body (another easy mod reported that will obviously help). When did you do the mod? Have you had to maintain or rebuild the mesh? See post #2 in this thread...

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f218/bubble-plate-vs-needle-wheel-166457.html

Also per that thread, I had thought about adding a bubble plate, but wonder if it is less beneficial?

Side question for you ASMers with the Sedra pump. I seem to have an electrical issue? After unplug/plugging the pump, it does not re-start right away. I have to jiggle the plug in the socket, pull in and out, drives me nuts. Maybe this is an end of life issue, or an electrical problem? Can I fix this?

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have redone it once. 9 months is about right but it is so easy to fix. Takes maybe 10 minutes. I would not have even done it but I noticed when I was cleaning it that some of the plastic in the mesh had come apart. Not sure on the bubble plate. I know that the higher end skimmers like the reef octs and bubble magus have the plates so there must be a reason... As far as the pump not starting. that seems to be a pretty common problem with an AC powered magnetic pump. I know a lot of the power heads have the same issue. I can usually tap on it to get it to restart.

Let me know if you want to come by and pick up some of the mesh. You can also get it on ebay for like $10

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=enkamat&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: ASM Skimmer Mods! Anyone out there try them?

Holy modding Dave, I don't have an ASM but I kinda want to mod one with the gate valve, mesh wheel, recirc, maybe even do the overflow thing. I've been itching to use these 1/2" uniseals

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

H2O_intolerant;235232 said:
Holy modding Dave, I don't have an ASM but I kinda want to mod one with the gate valve, mesh wheel, recirc, maybe even do the overflow thing. I've been itching to use these 1/2" uniseals
Buy mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: ASM Skimmer Mods! Anyone out there try them?

Dr.HarlemTutu;235234 said:
Buy mine.

No sir, I may have spent my paycheck before even receiving it :)

But, I will mod the crap out of it for .....¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
H2O_intolerant;235235 said:
No sir, I may have spent my paycheck before even receiving it :)

But, I will mod the crap out of it for .....¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
Jaime you're role model for ASM skimmer mod'ers everywhere. You just inspired me to come up with a new mod. I don't know what it is yet, but it will be extreme, so off to the Depot I go to buy a pallet of PVC...

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey smart people out there, does anyone know what the upward facing / open pipe is in the gate valve mod in these pics? And whether it is truly necessary? And if so, whether it should be after (first pic) or before (second pic) the valve? Trying to design in my sump config and would appreciate any insights.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

Mine is set up like the 2nd pic. The pipe needs to be used but can be shorter.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dave, its a silencer. It lets the air escape through the top so that it doesn't making the gurgling noise as much. Never tried this mod so not sure which way works better.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Got it, thanks guys. Figured it was as such or air bubble escape etc, like a durso would be...hm, back to mod'ing...

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
So just got a g 4 for the 18o and did the bubble plate and will do the gate valve. Just stock Sedera 5k the plate seems to really chop the bubble up.

goslugsgo

Blenny
M.A.S.C Club Member
The mesh wheel probably made the biggest difference in pure muckmaking performance, IIRC.
I did that, the recirc, and the gate valve.

Last edited by a moderator:

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya dont have and ASM here but my return pump sometimes does the same thing with not always starting when I plug it in, fortunately it doesnt happen that often.