Auto top off

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am going a build an ATO for my 40 gallon with 20L sump, but I am not sure what size tank to use to hold the water, I will be gone for a week in July so it will need to last about that long if not longer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Float-Valve...ltDomain_0&hash=item43b0a2c4c7#ht_3051wt_1110 I am thinking this float valve because I won't have to drill into my sump at all, as I don't trust myself haha. Then what pump should I use? As I don't think I can do gravity fed, unless i build a small stand taller than the level of my sump. But then my next question, is gravity fed more reliable?

I think that 15 gallons should be enough to cover the evap, as a 5 gallon bucket lasts almost 4 days.

Please let me know what you guys all think about what I should do for this, as I need to start ASAP on this project

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use a float switch and Aqua lifter pump for my ato. Works great, 2 five gallon water jugs from murdochs is enough for six days on my 75.

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a 26g container hooked up to a drip line that is simply gravity fed for a temporary ato until the big tank is setup. It sits on a 2x4 stand above my current holding tank. Just get the drip line tuned in the the evaporation level and its a cheap simple solution. If you want to do a float valve that is gravity fed and do not want to drill you sump just buy a piece of acrylic and drill that. Hook the float valve to it and duct tape it to a spot in your sump that works. Another cheap easy solution that is a little more reliable.

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok so I think I am gonna do the aqua lifter route, but if I use a float valve, how do you connect it to the aqua lifter to make it activate it. Sorry for all the questions I just have no idea how it works

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It's not a float valve really it's a float solenoid or switch that when the water drops float switch turns the pump on after it get full it turns it off

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
matt.radich;173693 said:
Ok so I think I am gonna do the aqua lifter route, but if I use a float valve, how do you connect it to the aqua lifter to make it activate it. Sorry for all the questions I just have no idea how it works
A couple different ways to do this ,here is a video of the basic idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UmT2rV0iYE&feature=related I use a relay instead of running the switch directly to the ext. cord, much safer IMO. Here is the easiest way http://autotopoff.com/products/SS1/ HTH.

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
FYI, those float switches can and do fail, along with the relays. I had a relay fail after 2 years, luckily failed open so it wasn't pumping water. Even with 2 floats, if the relay fails you can be hosed. I still run that style setup to this day, though I would feel better with a solid state relay or just plop down the dough for a tunze. Another tid bit. Put the power to the relay on a timer, so it only comes on every couple hours for 15 minutes or a few minutes if its a digital timer, this severely limits the on off on off nonsense you get from waves and what not it the sump.

BPreefer

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
andyrm66;173783 said:
FYI, those float switches can and do fail, along with the relays. I had a relay fail after 2 years, luckily failed open so it wasn't pumping water. Even with 2 floats, if the relay fails you can be hosed. I still run that style setup to this day, though I would feel better with a solid state relay or just plop down the dough for a tunze. Another tid bit. Put the power to the relay on a timer, so it only comes on every couple hours for 15 minutes or a few minutes if its a digital timer, this severely limits the on off on off nonsense you get from waves and what not it the sump.
+1 on the timer, just another back up. Always good to have some extra piece of mind.

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 on the timer. I had planned on adding it to an RKL so that it only ran at certain times and only if the sensor indicated that it needed water. I will be using one of the Tunze ATO's and controlling it with the RKL or at least a mechanical timer.

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I am really leaning towards a gravity fed ATO. I am thinking of using a float valve like this one, http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/BM-FVAT.html And then I am confusing as to how to keep the siphon. Will it have to be air tight? Or if i just set the tubing in the bottom of the tank, will it hold the siphon even when the float valve turns off the flow of water?

Any other cheap ideas that would work if gravity fed doesn't work?

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Timer on a cheap pump that feeds to the float valve. The timer would turn on the pump for a specified period of time and if the water level is low enough for the float valve to be open, it will allow the flow from the pump into the sump.

I am tagging along to this thread. You should set up some pictures when its all said and done. I need to set up an ATO but I am not 100% on what I want to do. Nothing seems perfect so its just minimizing the risks really......

I use a ~25 gallon HDPE trash can. I drilled it and added a spout that fits some waterline(same stuff that is used for RODI filter). Then I have it run to my sump and I have a float valve like (http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/BM-FVAT.html) but it it more basic, just the valve. I have the valve screwed into some eggcrate that sits vertically. The egg crate is standing next to a baffle and I made an acrylic holder for the top(three pieces of acrylic, so it makes a TT shape where the top sits on the sump and the two parts that come down are used to hold the egg crate. I'll try and get some pictures up.

I also have a ~30 gallon crate below to catch any water that leaks from the trashcan. If I was to redo the setup, I would use a crate to hold the water so the hydraulic pressure on the spout was lower but I would still have the same amount of water. If I add more than 15 gallons to the trash can, it leaks from the spout a little, but the crate catches all of it.

Has never failed or flooded. I'd prefer not to use an aqualifter for this application incase an electronic float switch fails.

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
I bought a float valve from us plastics for 8$, epoxied a price of tubing near the bottom of the water storage bucket and instant cheap ato. Works awesome.

deadrock

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Super glue your float valve to a mag float (get the big one) makes everything easy to use and adjust.I use the gravity system has never failed me