Back in it....missed reefing!

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am Randy, in Brighton, and I am a reefaholic! I had a nano about 10 years ago, but financially couldn't sustain it. In a much better way now, so I'm back in! I'm so excited to get LPS/zoas going again! Met a great guy named Mike Woodard (Miwoodar) who made me a great deal on chemicals and equipment and rock/sand, and really helped jumpstart my reentry. Thanks Mike!

I have a 36 gallon corner with a 10g sump/fuge up and running with 4 24" T5HOs. 2 10k and 2 Actinic, with moonlights. I plumbed the sump myself (surprise! It worked!), and am anxiously awaiting an NO3 reading of 0 in the next couple weeks so I can stop watching pods and hydroids every day!
I already have purchased stock from mindblowingcorals.com, and they have graciously agreed to hold them for me until my tank is ready.....biding my time, reading and drooling! Love this site and all the local activity!

View attachment 15058

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome back to the madness!! Lookin' forward to seeing what you do with that corner tank.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome back I am just east of brighton in box elder creek ranch estates if you need anything let me know

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

Glad you are back and look forward to meeting you here soon and seeing you at the September dbtc swap

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome back. Let us know if we can help with the build.

V
GWA

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome! Awesome looking tank:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Its been quite challenging over the past few months. Diatoms and algae have been out of control. I was pondering just quitting, but tried h2o2 to try to control algae. I had little success with this. I read somewhere that some of this nuisance algae and diatoms thrive in lower flow and nutrient depleted warters(zero to few nitrates), so I decided to disconnect my sump and put that pump into my DT for much more flow, and I have upped my feedings by about double. I also took out about half my LR, so there are less dead zones. Everyone seems happier, with the exception of my frogspawn frag, which didnt make it. I thought my trumpet coral was going to croak too, but she is doing well today. Less LR and more feeding is a bit concerning, but I will watch it closely.
Thanks for checking up on me!

rplank

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I currently have a maxi jet 1200 in the tank with the large propeller. The box lists 1300 gph max in circulation pump mode, and 295 gph max in power head mode. I'm not sure what the configuration I have is considered. I also have two hob power filters running, as well as an aquaclear 30 powerhead. Running carbon in the hob filters just because I am not sure what was so off in my tank. I think I have well over 500 gph water movement.