Ben (fireheadman)

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello Forum (MASC)

I saw the MASC booth at ReefStock and got on here as quick as possible.

My name is Ben, I live in the Lone Tree area.... I have been away from aquariums for about 7-8 years. Previous tanks were 125gal glass tank with rare african cichlid tank, which became extinct when I left for a week long vacation and had a friend come over to feed them everyday. Needless to say, my friend forgot to turn off the lights the entire week, which as you can guess increased the water temps to well over 90 degrees and practically fried all the fish.

Next tank was a 72gal custom acrylic tank (salt water this time). I ened up moving and shut the tank down and never got back into the hobby... until now.

Currently I have 130gal in-wall see through acrylic tank 3/4" walls (59L x 16W x 32H). I am going as high end as I can on everything.
Contents of tank so far are:
  • I have some large 40+lbs pieces of live rock and few 20+lbs live rock for aquascaping
  • Digital Aquatics RKE, MLC, SL1, PC4, APC modules (Current for sale), I am wanting to replace with an APEX setup
  • Tunze 6105 circulation pumps w/magnet extension
  • Custom 2 piece refugium/sump (cheato), sump modelled after the Trigger system sump, built this myself using Plasticare to laser cut 3/16 acrylic (red and clear)
  • Danner Mag Drive 18 return
  • Danner Mag Drive 9.5 (supply) for AquaC EV180
  • EcoTech Marine Radion Gen2 LEDS x2
  • WavePoint HO LED Sump light
  • SpectraPure MaxCap RO/DI system with ATO to sump
  • 55Gal Ace Roto Mold saltwater mixing reservior (in basement)
  • APC UPS 1500 series for 1hr battery backup (entire tank and all components), networked to enable email notification on power outages
  • Custom cabinetry surrounding tank/wall
  • Eheim Jager 150w heaters x3
  • Eshopps probe holder, 4" sock filter

Fish so far are a pair of black clowns, fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, emerald crabs, and snail/hermits.

Hoping to grow the tank into a mixed reef tank with about 8 - 10 fish and LPS/SPS corals.
Once the tank is worth showing, I would be up for hosting a meeting or two.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ben (fireheadman)

Welcome to the madness if you need anything don't be afraid to ask. Oh ill beat Jamie to the punch
We want pics!

ValG

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
Welcome! Good to have someone else in the neighborhood. I am in HR just south of Quebec and Lincoln.

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here's a few.... This shows the tank in setup.... cabinet doors are now completed and the old sump has been replaced (used to be a AMicacle MR200)

I'll take some current ones hopefully this weekend.

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tanks....!

Currently I have Ki @KeysIsland servcing the tank until I can get up to speed on how to care for it, then I will either renew them to continue or start the upkeep/cleaning myself.
Time seems to be the key thing! I am still in the middle of remodeling the house.... Purchased a 2300sqft foreclosed townhouse and completely gutted it (last July).

So between projects, I do things with the aquarium.
If anyone is interested in coming over to help out or view, let me know.

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Ben (fireheadman)

Welcome! In wall tanks are so nice, yours looks great!

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
the bigger rock in the tank came from show tank (I forget the store name, now closed... was at Bowles and Wadsworth, across from Clemmet Park)
It was alive about 7 years ago and I dried it so I could store it until now. Hopefully it will re-seed in time. I already find bristle worms inhabiting it at night time.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: Ben (fireheadman)

And thank you for your donation to MASC as well, we appreciate your support Ben!!!

fireheadman

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
@kmellon

I had Ki @KeysIsland contract the build out.
was $2600 for the tank.

Originally I had a shop in Castle Rock bid on it,... I forget their name, but they are an affliate to ATM and they wanted $5K to build, so passed.
This tank came out perfect... there are no bubbles on the joints! I do regret not doing a dual overflow, but I have adapted the tank and sump to work together.