BioCube lighting retro....

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Very cool! It would be interesting to compare par readings between the BIOcube LED retro kit and the LED top that JBJ sales. Has anyone done that already?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
chrislorentz;102226 said:
Where would you put the SPS? Super high PAR, MID PAR? will it be to much light?
Depending on the SPS of course, some like a lot of light and some not so much . I think this is correct as I know little about SPS at this point. I was given a few SPS pre-LEDs and the darn near died. One of them a sunburst monti, tuned from grown to the bright orange with neon yellow poloyps. and it sitting up really high in the middle.

asneiman;102238 said:
Do you have PAR from the stock lights?
I did not do a stock PAR reading...

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I raised my lights with some wood lying around and I am able to see a huge difference in the light spread. Here is a few pictures.

[attachment=59965:name]

Will update on coral health in the next few days.

ChrisB

Butterfly Fish
looks good

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alright, so for those that don't know the whole story when I ordered these lights they came and where not the color combo I asked for. I could have sent them back but this was three months of waiting. So I love these lights except for the color, not a huge 14k fan, so I ended up modifying my current unit. I bought a heat sink from rapid led, got a buck puck from ledsupply and six 3watt leds from Lyle (ipsouth1978). Who has done a ton of LED DIY's so if you guys have led DIY question Lyle is the man. Pictures speak louder then words so here is the new MOD.

-The first picture shows the new heatsink/leds attached to the existing led fixture.
-the second pic is the power hook up, which we placed right in between the main cords.
-The 3rd is the pot to adjust the intensity of the LED's, as I will be using these for my -new moon lights as well.
The last pic is on the top so you can see where the pot and power connector is.
[attachment=60031:name]

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Think that old power supply I used is not putting out the power it saying it used to. As the added lights did not make a difference at all. I have a DMM but it is caca, so I need to get a new one. I also read the specs on that buck puck and it says they run best at 24v. SO I might get a 24 volt power supply. Might hook the lights up to my adjustable power supply to see if it makes a difference. However for night lights it looks great. lol

lpsouth1978@msn.com

Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots
That could explain why they did not seem as bright as we thought they should be. I did not realize that was a 12v power supply. If I understand things correctly that could deffinately be a problem. With 6 LED's at a Vf of 3.6v you need at least 21.6v to power the LED's fully. As it is, you are only getting 2v per LED instead of the ideal 3.6v. I have an extra 24v power supply you can have. It will require you to come back out, but it should make all the difference in the world. Let me know.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It was actually a 18 volt power supply but still not Ideal and again if my crappy DMM was reading right they where only getting about 1.9 to 2 volts each...

I will take the power supply you have, but will be about a week till I can head over as I am heading out tomorrow to go fly fishing and camping. When I come over I will bare gifts of my thanks. I still owe you the dragons flame, some duncans and a mystery frag or two. Or if you wait I can hook you up with some CAR's, or some mohawks, your choice.

Again thanks for your help, that was good times.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Little update:

Sexy!:
[attachment=60932:name]

So I am getting a bigger tank and am going to need a little more light. So I ended up getting me a MW ELN-60-48. I am going to run it to the max it out with 14 leds and still use my buckpuck which is running 6 cree leds. So I will have my 120watt unit plus an extra 60watts of light on my 58 gallon tank. What do you guys think, will this be enough power to light the tank and grow SPS?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks bro, I sure hope it looks just as nice when I move to the larger tank.