Black Ice maybe pregnant?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Clowns don't get pregnant. That's more than likely just a full belly of food. Tone it down on the feeding a bit and keep an eye on it. If you feed less and the bump is still there, it can sometimes mean it has an intestinal parasite.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sctip;360696 said:
Clowns don't lay eggs? Where do they come from?
They lay eggs, but it doesn't swell their belly.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Well from my research it does swell the belly it has to where else will they be stored? This is one site I read that explains it. I am curious if it looks like other that have had experience with it is all.

How to ...
2 of 5 Checklist Share
How to Tell If a Saltwater Clown Fish Is Pregnant
By Chelsea Hoffman
Native to the warm waters of the Great Barrier Reef and similar oceanic areas, the clown fish is a colorful and attractive saltwater fish. By carefully observing the behavior of clown fish in your aquarium you will be able to tell if they are breeding.

A male clown fish

Step 1
Observe the behavior of the tank mates. Ordinarily, the female of the mated pair will assert dominance and attack the male, nipping at his fins. This is a sign of sexual maturity. If the male submits to the female, both become ready to breed, although no acts of breeding may be witnessed.

Step 2
Pay attention to the appearance of the female clown fish if you suspect the fish have mated. One of the first signs of pregnancy includes thickening and swelling of the fish's midsection as she becomes full with eggs.

Step 3
Observe the behavior of both the male and the female fish. If the fish constantly appear to be cleaning off rocks and digging burrows into the gravel near secluded parts of the tank, this indicates pregnancy.

Just trying to make sure we are ready when it happens the fish do swell I just haven't seen it in my tanks is all.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mine never swelled her belly, but she also layed eggs once a week, so there wasn't much buildup so to speak. Unless you have a full set up to raise fry (live food farms, small tank setup etc.), just let them do their thing and let the fry become food for the tank.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Sctip;360698 said:
Well from my research it does swell the belly it has to where else will they be stored? This is one site I read that explains it. I am curious if it looks like other that have had experience with it is all.

How to ...
2 of 5 Checklist Share
How to Tell If a Saltwater Clown Fish Is Pregnant
By Chelsea Hoffman
Native to the warm waters of the Great Barrier Reef and similar oceanic areas, the clown fish is a colorful and attractive saltwater fish. By carefully observing the behavior of clown fish in your aquarium you will be able to tell if they are breeding.

A male clown fish

Step 1
Observe the behavior of the tank mates. Ordinarily, the female of the mated pair will assert dominance and attack the male, nipping at his fins. This is a sign of sexual maturity. If the male submits to the female, both become ready to breed, although no acts of breeding may be witnessed.

Step 2
Pay attention to the appearance of the female clown fish if you suspect the fish have mated. One of the first signs of pregnancy includes thickening and swelling of the fish's midsection as she becomes full with eggs.

Step 3
Observe the behavior of both the male and the female fish. If the fish constantly appear to be cleaning off rocks and digging burrows into the gravel near secluded parts of the tank, this indicates pregnancy.

Just trying to make sure we are ready when it happens the fish do swell I just haven't seen it in my tanks is all.
Thank you.

zinovate

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
My pair that lays every 12-13 days gets really fat. She drop 400-500 each time like clockwork.