Blenny compatibility

kyuubichan218

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a Midas blenny (~4-5 in) already in my 180, but I would really like to add a starry blenny. They are different genus, and my midas thinks she's an anthias and never goes for algae. I've read that blennys don't get along great, but I wondered if anyone has any experience mixing blennys, especially in large tanks.

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
180g here and i have a lawnmower and tribal. looking to get a midas or canary blenny because they swim. the tribal will nip at the lawnmower and same back from the lawnmower whenever they fight over the same hole or algae spot on a rock. feeding they could care less that both are blennies... but i would however suggest trying to pull the midas when adding the starry, and readd the midas after the starry has found a hole or cave.

just my .02

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a midas and a bicolor. They get along great. Started together in a 90 reef, both are now in a 250. Still doing great. The midas blenny, who was a brilliant yellow, has actually changed it's colors to mimic the bicolor. I don't know if this is common or not and they "sit" and swim together too. Never too far from each other. The bicolor was in the tank for about 9 months prior to the midas joining.

I have a scooter blenny, mandarin and starry blenny all coexisting without issue in my tank. When I introduced a coral beauty, they had a few scuffles in the first 2 days and now they peacefully munch algae together off the back wall. As long as there are plenty of hidey places for all, I wouldn't worry too much.

You beat me, I was just about to correct myself. I know some LFS's refer to them as Scooter Blennies, but they are both dragonettes I guess. I have only had one tank where a scooter, mandarin and lawnmower had issues, but it was limited to cool displays of fins when they passed each other - no chasing. I just prefer the low swimming fish I guess for personality. My starry can be a butthead - he guards his cave and they have a pretty good chomp