Blindrage Intro

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have posted in a few threads, and even asked for help with an issue in the Newbie area. So I guess I should get around to posting an intro so people know a bit about who I am.

I am a 46 yr old male looking for a... wait, wrong forum.

I am actually happily married with a 2.5 yr old son that takes up a whole lot of my time. I looked into a saltwater aquarium about 8 yrs ago, but the cost kept me from moving forward at that time. Well there is nothing like a 2 yr old watching Nemo to give a man a good excuse to bring the subject up again. It turns out my wife has always liked the idea, so we pressed forward.

I served in the US Air Force, and spent time in Desert Storm/Shield playing in the sandbox. When I got out of the AF in 92 I moved to Colorado, and I have lived here ever since. I have an undergraduate degree in Electrical Engineer, and a Masters in Computer Science. I work for a company that makes SAN switches in the Broomfield area, and in the far SE part of the Denver area. Technically Centennial, but more like far south Aurora.

I have ridden motorcycles for about 30 yrs, and I have been a Motorcycle Safety Foundation instructor on and off for about 20 yrs. I currently teach for Abate of Colorado, and mostly teach at the Front Range CC site in the northern part of Denver. I have track raced bikes over in Japan, but now I have a Harley Softail for daily riding and a KLR-650 for lite off-road use. I have always been a major computer nerd, and just this year took up AirSoft as a hobby to get me outdoors and moving more often. I also just took up fly fishing and fly tying. Then there is this aquarium thing... can I tell you exactly how much my wife in thrilled that I have taken up 3 expensive hobbies in one year.

So last item would be the tank. It is a 90 gallon glass tank with a 15 gallon sump. I just plumbed in a small remote deep sand bed and an approx 12 gallon refugium over the last few days. Current lighting is a 4 bulb T5 (I think) fixture that came with a used tank I bought at a LFS. I know that lighting is not going to cut if for the future plans on this tank, reef, so I am in the market for buying or building an LED system. Which also means I am in the market for a control computer to control the lightning, pumps, monitoring, etc. Since I have a strong background in programming I am looking for the ones that allow customization, at least I am until I do more research to figure out exactly what I need. Expect to see me involved in some group buys for a wide range of stuff going forward.

BTW, that used tank (72gallon bow front) broke the support bar within 20 minutes of getting it home and doing the first test fill, so we will have two tanks once the LFS gets in the replacement trim for us. Not the greatest customer service from that store so far, and I am hoping they do something to change my mind before I write them off from all future purchases. At least they are not one of the great places I have seen mentioned around here.

That is me in a nutshell. I hope to meet many of you at the Oct 20th meeting, and as I get more involved in this community.

Until then, Keep the shiny side up, and remember that bikers are the only people that understand why dogs hang their heads out the window of a car.

Rick

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome to our club. Really enjoyed your write up. Don't discredit your t5. 4 bulbs with upgraded reflectors and good bulbs (I recommend ati) will be very capable of growing anything you might like. They will grow sps just maybe not the highest light demand ones. Any question don't hesitate to ask lots of people here would be glad to help.

SLewis

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
welcome to the madness

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

Glad you started an into thread......Now bring on the pics!!!!

PS. WE LOVE PICS :D

newtoreef

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome! Possibly the best intro I've seen yet. As Andrew said- don't write off those T5s or feel like LED is the way that you have to go if you want a reef. Unless you're growing extremely finicky SPS, T5s are good lights. I'm considering adding a couple to my tank to supplement my LEDs.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome to the site!

Nice to see another MSF coach/track junkie floating around the saltwater world ;)

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey... Welcome from your new friends from Great White Aquatics (NOCO)

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pics are going to have to wait for a bit.

We made the mistake of dropping by Aquatic Art today to see about the next fish, and maybe a Zoa or mushroom. It turns out Chris had just done a breakdown of a customer's tank. I just asked innocently what he was looking to get for the tank, and my wife seemed impressed when she heard the answer. She like the 90 we installed, but was not so happy with the stand and lack of canopy.

This all boils down to our new tank being delivered sometime this week. We upgraded from a really nice 90 with T5s to a monster tank that will do everything I could ever want.

New specs: 150 gallon dual overflow tank with what appears to be a 40+ gallon sump. A Dart return pump, G3 skimmer, Vortech MP40, and two Tunze 6505s for extra flow. Lightning is 2 250w MHs, 4 T5s, and some LED moons. I even dropped by Aquamart and picked up an Apex controller since I am going to need the help and supervision it provides to keep an eye on this beast.

Now I just have to figure out what I am going to do with the CuC, 2 cleaner shrimp, and the two clowns until I can drain and move the 90 and get the new one in place. The logistical challenge is going to be nightmare for someone like me that has never moved tanks around.

Finally, after everything is complete, I will post some pics. I am so excited to get started on this new tank, but there is no way the wife and I could have hauled it home without a lot of help. We will just have to wait until Chris has the time and manpower to deliver it.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know what tank you're referring to - BajaMike and I helped him tear it down. That is a GORGEOUS but VERY heavy tank. Extremely smart of you to have it delivered. I'm sure Cris will help you sort out the logistics of the move if you ask.

Pics! Pics!