Build a tank?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
I got the go ahead for a new tank. One condition, it had to have the same footprint 24x24. After helping Mike move his tank, I'm stuck on acrylic. The issue, I want to build it. Another issue, I have no idea what I'm doing. I know I need cast acrylic and weldon. That's about it though.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
that about covers it.....:) build a jig get the acrylic weld it together and cross your fingers. Why in the hell do you like acrylic?

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yea I hate Acrylic though I seem to scratch it all the time. seems harder to clean than glass as well even with doobie pads. If it were me I would build some type of jig to hold everything in place while the weldon sits up. Look for ritmars build over on SCMAS.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'll help ya build a glass tank. Really easy. Acrylic isn't much harder... I just have never tried. Maybe start with a sump and move on. Make tour beginner mistakes on something that doesn't show so much.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was not a big fan of acrylic and was quickly swayed. I polished most of the scratches out with out much trouble never touched sand paper. Next repairs are easy. then if you have to move no problem. If you have scratched glass, umm well you are S.O.L.

there are lots of sites with info on how to properly cut square and join acrylic - melevsreef.com for example. Best is to build your edges overlarge and route with a flush trim - weldon 4 bleeds nicely into a join and sets up fast - use a little thicker acrylic than required. I used to build boxes for art out of acrylic and an aquarium is much the same. A table saw with a triple chip blade makes great cuts - straight and square - do not use a jig saw. My 32.3 gallon sump came out perfect and holds water with 1/4", but for a tank 3/8" looks real cool - 1/2" if over 60g

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well got a quote from the local glass shop for 3x 24x24 and 2x 24x23 pieces
1/2 glass is $90/panel so $450
3/8 glass is $38/panel so $190
1/2 acrylic is $160/panel so $800

With those prices, I think I'm better off buying a new one. What do you guys think?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Call pro glass in greeley. They have great prices and service. At those prices I do agree with you. IMO 3/8" is plenty. 1/4 with a rim.

I think you are getting bent over on the acrylic price. LOL! Materials for that tank is between 190 and 260 depending on brand of acrylic, but you can't go rimless with acrylic unless you go much thicker. ;)

I agree with calvin415 on the price - both glass and acrylic, which bows real easy - you probably did the right thing with just ordering the tank

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
not to mention the quality of a pro made tank vs joe never done this, all F*ed up and maybe dont work in the end. (it could have come out top notch as well, but why chance it for that cost?)

You have to buy it by the sheet (4x8), and pick up down here in the Springs, but A&C Plastics has a warehouse here...