Building a sump

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
After having 2 aquaclear filters overflow on me, I've lost my faith in them completely and I'm going to make a sump for my 20L. Because of petco's $1/gallon sale right now I'm going to buy another 20L, drill it and use my current one for the sump. But I have a few questions first. What are the differences between the overflows, and the hole drilling, where do I do that, the bottom or sides? Also, what size return pump would be needed for my sump? I know it depends on the size of the hole, but I also don't know what size to do.

So please any help in my time of frustration would be great!

Last edited by a moderator:

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Building a sump

BRS is actually a good site for hole dimensions. Look at there bulkheads I'm the plumbing tab. They will tell you what size hole saw to use with that bulkhead. Depending on if you want to go with ABS, or schd 80 the whole will be different.
As for bottom, back, or side, personal preference depending on the type of overflow you want. I just bought one of those 20 long tanks, and although they will usually have a warning sticker on the bottom for tempered glass, these don't. May not be tempered, but always scary drilling the bottom of a tank.

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
that was very helpful, I will keep looking through there. But then my next question is what kind of pump to use? and how much gph would be good?

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Would a 1" hole for the drain and the same for the return e enough? I read about max flows and it seemed to vary a lot between 600-1000 gph. I am thinking of drilling the back right corner and then a return on the left or a split in the middle. I am just stuck on what size hole to drill

FishTV

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Building a sump

For a return pump I would think about 300 gph pump depending on your max head. That would give you about 10X turn over through your display. I like to run less than that through my sumps with fuge. I like to have more contact time with my skimmer, and fuge, making up the flow with wave makers in the display. Again personal preference. And I would run 1/2" or 3/4" max for supply and 1 or 2 drains @ 1" for that size tank.

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Building a sump

Ok so I do need a smaller pump than I thought.... I will keep my eyes peeled for one. It will be able 3 ft up to the display tank

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I bought the Rio 1700 that rob has for sale as it seemed to be a good fit for what I needed. I got my 20 long today, and got stuff to make the overflow box, I should be in good shape, just need to get some black krylon fusion to paint with