Calcium Reactor Adjustments

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I set up my calcium reactor a few days ago and have been trying to dial everything in. I had a slight mishap with my solenoid sticking open (I'm hunting for a replacement) and the PH in my reactor went down to 6.2. That problem is temporarily fixed (I took it apart, cleaned it and it's working now but I don't trust it 100%) and everything is running fine.

My calcium held strong at 420 the first day but after testing this evening has dropped to 390. Not a bad drop. I assume I wasn't dripping effluent fast enough so I have made a slight adjustment and its dripping faster now.

My biggest concern is with the alk. I started at 8.4, dropped the first day to 7.5 and today it dropped to 6.8. I have manually dosed some alk to help bring that back up but I'm trying to figure out what I need to adjust to dial that in and make it stable.

This is my first time running a reactor and I've read a lot online but everywhere I read for alk says to increase CO2 bubbles per minute... Well with the ph probe running the co2 it's not a constant bubble count and only comes on when ph raises to 6.7, so how do you make an adjustment to raise the alk?

Thank you for any help!!

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Can either lower pH or increase effluent, I would lower pH to around 6.3-4

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Calcium Reactor Adjustments

Yea that makes sense. Ugh sorry, this has definitely been a leaning opportunity for me.

I should mention I'm using the coarse ARM media. I have slightly increased effluent and lowered ph to 6.4 and will test tomorrow