Calling all Scoly gurus and owners

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
My one and only super awesome scoly that I've had for 5+ months (thriving and growing) has started to recede. Anyone ever experience this and have any solutions or knowledge of what it might be from?

Lol lets not get into parameters thing, as most of you know I don't keep track and haven't for years. The only thing that has changed recently is adding a carbon reactor for first time for maybe 10 days tops, but has since been turned off. Any help or thoughts would be awesome.

Sorry for the junkie cell pics but you can see the recession.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am scollysitting one, and it was receding when I first got it, I moved it to lower light, and low flow and it's looking great...

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: Calling all Scoly gurus and owners

Munch;247178 said:
I am scollysitting one, and it was receding when I first got it, I moved it to lower light, and low flow and it's looking great...
Scott I just moved it to a cave a few days ago, with moderate light. How much lower light are you talking? Like no direct at all or?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;247180 said:
Scott I just moved it to a cave a few days ago, with moderate light. How much lower light are you talking? Like no direct at all or?
Hmm mine are high up in my frag tank and under a good amount of light with no issues.

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It was getting indirect light for about 3 weeks, partially in the shadow of a rock, that blocked direct light. Since then, I have it 12" below my leds, still in low flow.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: Calling all Scoly gurus and owners

No I have not been feeding at all, but it has been growing until now. Someone on R2R pointed out that the Favia could be stinging it, so I have now moved it again. Back into the light with normal flow, away from the favia to see what happens

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have had my war paint for 1 year now. I feed mine pellets 2-3 times a week at night when it's extended as in the second picture. My scolly's tentacles are sticky to the touch, which I think is a good sign.

I have heard that they are nearly impossible to keep long term so perhaps it is only a matter of time for mine as well, but good now.

All mine that I just sold were more than a year old. The carbon may have stripped all your trace elements from the column though if you didn't replace them after running carbon.

Also, controversially, iodide has shown to improve coral recuperation within corals with soft flesh.

I have had mine in almost all areas of my tank with the exception of really high flow areas and have thrived in every spot...

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;247268 said:
No I have not been feeding at all, but it has been growing until now. Someone on R2R pointed out that the Favia could be stinging it, so I have now moved it again. Back into the light with normal flow, away from the favia to see what happens
Try feeding it, as I mentioned previously mine loves to eat.

+1 to feeding. Mine have all lives to eat and it made me feel better that they were getting more than enough nutrients. I have fed mine brine, Mysis, ROE, krill, flake, and pellets.

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
I also have one that loves to eat and is thriving under metal halides