Chinese LEDs

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm starting to seriously consider the dimmable chinese LEDs for my 20Long, as I feel that it is going to be a hot summer again and the 2x150w halides are just going to bake my tank and my room as well. I see them sell for $150 free shipping on ebay, and I am just wondering how many of you guys and gals think that would be a good move? I would also consider buying one through the club, I just have read good and bad reviews and I want to get some person experiences before I make the switch.

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have 3 of the AJM's, and have been very happy with them. Granted, it's only been 2 months, but they have put out great color, and growth.

I run a 120W Chinese fixture as well, I am very happy with the purchase. IMO the low quality, set your house on fire fixtures mostly originate from odd ebay postings that lack techinical specifications and user reviews. For this reason the companion factors to look at when buying a fixture from China is 1. User reviews and 2. How often they change the design and what they change (this can be a good or bad sign depending upon the changes that are made.For the reasons listed above I purchased mine on the fallowing website; http://www.reefbreeders.com/index.html

Chinese LEDs

I run four, have ran them for over 2 years no problem, there is a group buy about ever other month on the Scmas for the dimmable ones I think they are 95$ plus 20$ shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Chinese LEDs

I like the Chinese lights. My only thought on these is no optics. I had over 900 par 8" down and almost 300 at the sand in a 27" tank. How ever I have made the switch to AI's

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

matt.radich;244131 said:
I am picking up a non dimmable Tao tronics light for $80 this weekend. We will see how that works out
New or can you buy at this price all the time?

Matt - I looked through to see if you commented somewhere else but didn't find any. What do you think of your new light?

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chinese LEDs

Well I got the one Campbell had, so it is a 1:1 light. I do really like it though, and that's probably because I am used to four bulb t5 so I like the whiter color ratio. I have it hanging out 14 inches above my tank because it is non-dimmable and my corals have responded to it really well. Everything is grown at least two polyps in only a couple weeks, so I would say the light is working perfectly. And being that I got it for $80, I'm really happy I was able to get into the LED lighting for less than $100. I will say though that I will probably be buying a dimmable one this summer just because I want to play with color ratios, but this one will probably go on my 10 gallon, even though that's a lot of light

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My 2 cents on LED's:
You get what you pay for. Most chinese generic leds burn out after 3-5 months. IMO build your own with crees or philips leds.

aztecdreams

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chinese LEDs

sethsolomon;248424 said:
My 2 cents on LED's:
You get what you pay for. Most chinese generic leds burn out after 3-5 months. IMO build your own with crees or philips leds.
I had the Taotronics for 4 months, they were already about 2 years old when I got them. Worked great

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I have used Chinese lights with success. 2 things when buying Chinese lights.
1) stay away from fancy program able ones they have weak drivers. Just get the dimmable ones

2) make sure they have 2 cords so you can control length of time blue/whites are on.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have both cheep Chinese (been running for 3 yrs) and expensive Eco tech radion (been about 15 mths) and I had to warranty the radion. So it's not all what u pay for cause the 3 Chinese have had no problem and the radions fan went. So you just have to cross your fingers!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Chinese LEDs

Just got 2 Chinese with two plugs and dimmers and 90 deg. Optics. 180 each shipped quick. The color is great and corals are doing well so far. We shall see about longevity. Blues at 70% and whites at 30% or so. Lovin them so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matt.radich

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chinese LEDs

I'm actually hoping to get the light ordered soon, but what about those ones that have moonlight mode? I have seen a couple like that, are those the ones with the weak drivers or will I be ok?