chloramine

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You need to call your water district and ask them if they use chloramine as a disinfectant. If they do, than you need an ro/di unit that removes chloramines. If they dont than a standard one will be fine. It only takes a minute to call. Id find out for yourself rather than someone telling you they called 3 years ago. Know what I mean. Chlorine is different from chloramines so just find out now.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are you asking wether or not you need to buy an RODI or do you already have an RODI and you just need to see if you need to upgrade to remove chloramine? If you don't have an RODI unit there are conditioners that remove chloramine as well.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also, I just did a quick search of my city and found the info I needed for Brighton water. Who knew they RO the water? But then mix it with well water to add back in minerals and such for taste and health? But all water tests are available (actually required to be disclosed) to tge public, so go to your citys website... That's a good place to start!

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hmmm...I knew Denver Water used chloramine in their system, but their water reports said that chloramine will evaporate out of solution if the water is left to aerate for a few days. Got curious and checked around for more info on that, and found an article on reefkeeping.com stating that it doesn't....and it must be removed by other means. Great...

After the minor panic...I noticed that the article also points out that chloramine is removed adequately by an ro/di system via activated carbon and DI resin...I would imagine a 4 stage ro/di would be fine and no "special" filter is needed specifically for chloramine.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-11/rhf/feature/index.php

Anybody have any firsthand experience that would indicate a chloramine filter is necessary? I'd probably treat the water rather than purchase another filter, but just curious as to why a standard RO/DI setup with a carbon filter would not be sufficient as indicated by the article linked above.

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks, I was going to by a bulk reef supply rodi unit and for a little more they had a chloramine unit. And it got me thinking if I needed one for my water

deboy69

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks but I'm looking at the bulk reef supply system. I don't have an rodi unit yet. Been buying my water, so I'm looking at getting that one.

kmellon

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
deboy,
I have the 5 stage wtih the extra 75 gpd ro membrane as well as the booster pump and love the set. It would be great if we could set up a group buy to get the discounts. That is how i got mine.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bang for buck, Air, Water, Ice mighty mini I think. 50GPD. Perfect for small systems.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coloagro

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I bought the Chloramines 4 Stage from Bulk Reef Supply and I'm in South Denver. Based on what I read it was detectable in the water here so I spent the extra few bucks. Just google the water dept in your city or call them and they'll tell you.

ShelbyJK500

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the "chloramine" filter "upgrade" is just a gimmick to sell an additional filter? Even if there were some trace amounts left (not precipitated) in your tap water, I would think a 4 or 5 stage RO/DI unit with carbon and DI would get rid of it?? Anyone know for sure??

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
We don't run anything special across the US to get rid of it. Just carbon and lots of it in a large tank.