Closed Loop

Upgrading from 90 FOWLR to 180 reef and I'm looking at running a closed loop in lieu of powerheads. Any ideas? Does someone have a operational closed loop on a large reef tank that wouldn't mind showing me thier setup.

Thanks

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I have one on my cube...can't take credit for building it though. The intake is the 2" black PVC and it runs on a reeflo snapper. There are 4 outlets connected by really nice DIY manifold that Martin built...ball valves control the flow of each outlet individually.

Do you find the water flow, turbulence etc. equal or better than powerheads? Do you need to use special bulkheads, I noticed there are no nozzles, jets etc.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
No idea on the bulkheads, sorry...Martinsreef would know more on that.

With the reeflo snapper and the number of ball valves and elbows in the manifold, I'd say the flow is fairly low. With a reeflo dart instead of the snapper, it might be enough for a softie tank without additional powerheads. But since I wanted more (random) flow, I'm also running a pair of mp10wes.

It depends on your needs, but with an appropriately sized pump on the closed loop in addition to a couple returns I think you could have plenty of flow in your system...just have to design it for that purpose. My closed loop does a great job of keeping flow in areas that would normally be dead spots even with a pair of powerheads, but the way it's currently setup wouldn't provide enough flow for my nems/sps. I do move them around every so often to create turbulence in different areas of the tank and clean off the rocks some...but most of my flow is provided my the MP10s and return.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
xsocali;292374 said:
Those bulkheads are spa jets
Yes they are spa jet bulkheads and were a pita the get my hands on.

The dart was better pump than the snapper for sps but would blow sand around it it wasn't just right.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have a 125 display with a barracuda head, 3/4 HP 3-phase Baldor electric motor and a variable frequency drive that ramps the speed up & down 24/7.

I have to run it under 1/4 HP or it can blow the fish out of the tank....

I plugged it in almost 3 years ago and it has been running ever since (except for ~2 hours when I had to change the seal in the barracuda head)