Clownfish aggression

I have one clown I had in QT and when I reintroduced him to the display, my red fire fish was harassed and jumped through a 1/4" gap in my lid. Two weeks later I added a neon damsel from QT to the display, and immediately upon introducing him my clownfish bit him by the tail and violently shook him to death.

I am quite surprised by this behavior. Is my clown going to be able to coexist with any other livestock?

NightHawk

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
He will most likely continue to be aggressive. Mine is the only fish in the tank and he only bites me if I get near him while cleaning the tank.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is it a Maroon clown? What size tank? There are some tricks to minimize aggression when you introduce new fish. Rearranging some of the rock-work can help, introduce at night, and get an acclimation box for the new fish. You can even make one from egg crate and let the clown get used to the new fish while he is separate.

It is an ocellaris clown, about one year in display tank which is 34G CAD. It has really grown with the display over last year and survived a bout of ich, quarantine and treatment, carpet surfings (before the lid), isolation periods in 10G tank to try to let it forget it own the display for up to 8 weeks, I love this clown. Still, it has been aggressive since day one, hence its name Jadaveon Clowney, named after the NFL player for my favorite team. He has always been a brute, so after speaking to my LFS he will be traded in for a less aggressive one... All the input has been very much appreciated, obligatory picture below.

[attachment=69073:name]

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
SkyShark;352326 said:
Is it a Maroon clown? What size tank? There are some tricks to minimize aggression when you introduce new fish. Rearranging some of the rock-work can help, introduce at night, and get an acclimation box for the new fish. You can even make one from egg crate and let the clown get used to the new fish while he is separate.
+1 to an acclimation box, I bought one (not necessary) at MACNA and have had really good success using it since.