Clownfish Battle ?? Help Plz

coloagro

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Quick background: My tank is approx 3months old lots of caves, hiding spaces etc in a 22g long.

I picked up a pair (non-mated) of Black Ocellaris from Elite back in month 1. First fish in the tank introduced at the same time. Recently I saw that both had some nips gone from all fins. I recently as of 3 weeks ago put a small Flame Hawk in their and thought that it was him....nope!

Been watching them and its clear they are now turning on each other! Namely the bigger possibly male clown is beating the **** out of the smaller one on an almost constant basis even sometimes during sleeping hours. They were PERFECT for more than 2.5 months and now I've got a bully.

What can I do other than try to trap the big one and remove him? This is new to me...is this common? Their still young so it cant be a gender switching trait right? I'm lost but I need to do something.

I dont want the little guy to lose his life from stress....btw The only signs of distress are heavily nipped fins on the small one with very little on the big guy.....What to do?:mad:

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
In my experience it's not normal but I have seen it sometimes.
I would remove one of them before it's too late. Maybe replace the bully.
The larger, more dominant fish will become the female. The male is smaller and more submissive.
I've had fish that just don't like the other fish that I put with them and they start ripping into it. The quickest solution was to
just keep trying a different fish.

coloagro

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thats what I'm gonna do then. I wish they would just play nice....damn women always beating us up! ;-) Thanks!

Kindafishy

Cleaner Shrimp
Zooid is correct the bigger one is usually the female. However if you got them both at about the same size, and both are trying to be "the" dominant Female, I think that could cause this issue.

If your going to remove one of them, try to get a much smaller one to match to the one you keep. With any luck the one you keep will be female, and the new one will stay submissive male (being smaller).

I also had better luck matching up clowns if I had a large anemone for them to host.

Good luck