Clownfish color morphing?

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just noticed this a few days ago but my female Snowflake clown looks like she is getting more black between her front and middle stripe and on her right pectoral fin. She is completely healthy, eating, active and seems normal. Do clowns morph their color over time as they age? I thought I had read about that but couldn't remember

Hard to get a good pic of her still

View attachment 21254

View attachment 21255

View attachment 21256

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks like stinger spots to me... When I had my clowns in my display, they got stung alot, and the orange areas turned black. Since moving them to my other tank, the orange is coming back in...

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't have anything in the tank that could sting them... I have a gold torch and yellow hammer in the tank but they show absolutely no interest in. No nems at all

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
The torch and hammer could do it. My frogspawn has stung my clowns before causing them to develop black spots.

On the other hand, I've definitely seen my clowns get more black over time; I've got 8 in various tanks and a bunch of babies I'm raising.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Clown lines also often darken and get bigger as the clown ages

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Interesting read! Thanks for the replies. The clowns have never been in the torch or hammer and sleep in the corner of the tank near my mp10. Weird but whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be anything of concern.

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah sorry I didn't mention it but even if it is your hammer or torch, I wouldn't be concerned. My clowns eventually adapted to my frogspawn and the spots went away.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
My picasso's have those as well. They have had them for months without any change in behavior. I would not worry.