1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

clownfish fry

Discussion in 'Captive Propagation' started by Mav, Nov 17, 2013.

1. fishguy69

fishguy69 Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

Cool to see a success story! Great job.

V

2. Mav

Mav Sardine M.A.S.C Club Member

clownfish fry

Absolutely! I would love to!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Ill work on getting them a plain of glass to lay on, how long from them laying to pulling the eggs out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

4. Mav

clownfish fry

[/QUOTE]

The rough side of a piece of tile or a small terra cotta pot works best. But if you change the environment too suddenly, it may throw their cycle of for a little while. As for time cycle it depends on tank, temp, water etc. Mine take 8 days. A good rule of thumb is when the eyes of the fry turn silver hatch night is close by. Typically 7 to 10 days. If you can pull them with a few gallons of water on hatch day or close to it, I will have a 5 gal tank ready. They need to stay with tank water for the first few days. And If they are still eggs, need a very slow bubble of air to keep them aerated but the dad clown does a better job than an airline can. So the longer with the parents the better.

I can't pull the rock that my eggs are on out. So I have to wait till hatch night. Shut all pumps, power heads, etc off and run an airline. I cover the tank with a few towels to black it out at lights off and wait a few hours. Then I start the painstaking process of siphoning the fry out with a small section of airline( the shorter the better) they aren't a fan of long journeys.

Let me know if you need any help. Where are you located?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2013
  5. Haddonisreef

I'm in Greeley there laying on the glass now that's why I think I can put one in with out disturbing too much.

6. Mav

Ok cool, works for me. I'll look into a cooler and a portable air pump.

7. Haddonisreef

He ones on the glass look about ready now so after this one I'll put glass in there and be Intouch.

8. Mav

We can try to siphon these on hatch night it's how I do mine

9. Haddonisreef

I just don't know when that is, they would need to get to you ASAP!

10. Mav

11. sethsolomon

sethsolomon Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Dawwwwwww

12. bsharpe

bsharpe Users with zero posts needing moderation to determine if they are spam bots

I am impressed, thanks for sharing

13. kmcmurtry

kmcmurtry Copepod

Glad to see the little guys doing so well. You have a knack

14. Mav

It's just very time consuming, not terribly hard and I'm no expert maybe I'm just lucky

15. kmcmurtry

kmcmurtry Copepod

It's more than luck - I tried my hand at raising blue dempsey fry once and it was rough. I think several times I lost all the little boogers and couldn't figure out why. I did have a couple successful batches, but it was depressing watching them grow and then for seemingly no reason (although undoubtedly there was one), I would come home and they were all dead. It is very time consuming and you have to sort of be on top of it at all times. Can't wait to see more pics of the babies!

16. Mav

Since I'm being a post whore tonight, how about some fish pics. About a month old...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

17. Mav

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

I almost forgot about these little guys can't wait to see them in person.

19. Mav

They are too cool I must say. When all said and done, if you dont have any I will donate a pair to the classroom tank

20. sethsolomon

sethsolomon Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

Awesome!!!!! Love seeing people help him out with the reef in school