Co2 system

Hey everyone! Setting up a freshwater planted tank and stoked for it. It's a 46 gal bow front. I want to incorporate a co2 system into it. Something cheap and simple, no controllers or probes.. Anyone have any suggestions at all? I just want to add some co2 to the water. I would appreciate any suggestions anyone has

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
My best recommendation would be to just spend the money from the start on a good dual stage regulator, and run it on a 5lb CO2 tank since you have a relatively small system. There are threads on plantedtank.net that will detail the parts you need if you decide to "build" a system yourself, or you can just buy one pre-assembled from someone over there (new or used), or you can always pick one up from a company. FWIW...you get more bang for your buck going with either a pre-assembled regulator with all the parts you need than you would going with something sold my an online retailer.

The dual stage regulator will prevent a large amount of CO2 being dumped into the fish tank when the CO2 tank starts to get low (know as end of tank dump). At a minimum, I'd recommend picking up a decent regulator and hooking it up with a bubble counter and a solenoid; the bubble counter will allow you to dial in your flow rate, and you can put the solenoid on a timer so the CO2 only runs during your photoperiod.

There's a very, very wide range in pricing for a decent regulator setup. Needle valves can go for anywhere from 20-90 bucks depending upon the quality...which basically just makes adjusting the flow more precise. When I started out with my first CO2 planted tank, I went the cheap route and purchased a small regulator and cheap needle valve that I ran on a paintball tank. It worked ok...but adjusting the flow was imprecise and I did not have an option for a solenoid. I had issues with seals failing on the cheap regulators (800psi being controlled by a needle valve is a BAD idea), and eventually started an upgrade to a Concoa dual stage regulator with a solenoid.

You can find a Milwaukee regulator with bubble counter, solenoid and a decent needle valve in the $150 range if you shop around.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you want super cheap, then yeast in sugar water in a 2 liter bottle can provide CO2.

If you get a regulator and full-blown setup, don't forget your check valve. You can find used bottle/regulator setups if you look around and wait for a while.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Co2 system

Good point with the yeast setup... The only thing I didn't like about that was the mess, and I had issues with BBA due to the fluctuating co2 levels.

I honestly had better luck dosing glutaraldehyde (seachem excel) than I did with yeast...but I never did really dial in the mixture well enough to try it long term

Depending on the fish load you want to keep, i used to have my filter hooked to timer. It turned off during the day allowing the natrual CO2 to build up, worked great for years. My anubias barteri bloomed in that setup to.