Colorado Sunbursts

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
It was sold to me as a Colorado Sunburst. It's not a Colorado Sunburst. Sure it's pretty, and many that have seen it, think it's one. It's not.

Here's what I call my Gucci Sunburst:

View attachment 20630

View attachment 20631

Like the famous Gucci handbags of Italy, often imitated but never duplicated :)

Last edited by a moderator:

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Curious what your thoughts are in what makes that not a sunburst (not saying it is just wondering what traits are different)? Is it possible that lighting or age of nem has played a part on the colors?

Is this a sunburst then?

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Pictures are incredibly hard to judge. That's why I'd never definitively say whether one is or isn't a Sunburst based on a pic. I do have both, and there is a clear distinction my mind between the two. While my Gucci Sunburst is orange with speckled green base, there is no doubt, it doesn't have the yellowish tips I've seen on my true Colorado Sunburst, and others that I've seen.

Could it change under MH? Maybe, hard to say. I might buy a MH setup and see :)

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a wild 'nem that is almost a sunburst. Pics are hard, but it looks very similar to yours. Not only do I know for a fact that it was wild and thus not from Colorado, the tips are just not quite yellow enough and the base is just too green. I call it the Funburst (faux sunburst).

I do also have a real colorado sunburst so I do know the difference and it is easy to tell when side by side... and my promise to the world is not to sell the funburst as a true sunburst even though I could have anybody ask back down the lineage of the real one.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
CRW Reef;321313 said:
Curious what your thoughts are in what makes that not a sunburst (not saying it is just wondering what traits are different)? Is it possible that lighting or age of nem has played a part on the colors?

Is this a sunburst then?

And just as an FYI this is a sunburst :p and also no need for proof of lineage you can take my word it will both walk the walk and talk the talk :p

LeviK

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
CRW Reef;321334 said:
And just as an FYI this is a sunburst :p and also no need for proof of lineage you can take my word it will both walk the walk and talk the talk :p
Lol thanks chad for this conversation I really like how this is showing each person has a different idea of what a sunburst is. If you go to articles dating back about sunbursts the funny thing is many pics in these articles look like the Gucci sunburst fake or not. Also regardless of name, if its cool looking people will pay more.

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just to add to that, Munch you saw my version of the Gucci sunburst, it was very similar to yours in person. I don't remember how many months it has been, but if you see it now you'd be like that is NOT the same anemone.

Mine is getting very dull under low light / Blue only LED's. Not saying they can't be ok under Blue only, but definately not low light my lights don't have enough power to just run blues only so i'm forced to turn my whites on. Going to see if i can get that nice orange back.

Munch;321310 said:
It was sold to me as a Colorado Sunburst. It's not a Colorado Sunburst. Sure it's pretty, and many that have seen it, think it's one. It's not.

Here's what I call my Gucci Sunburst:

View attachment 20630

View attachment 20631

Like the famous Gucci handbags of Italy, often imitated but never duplicated :)

Jeremiah

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I see that you are in the process of purchasing MH to do this experiement...Interested in your findings...also since Chad has 2 and is keeping his under Blue/UV...and I have 2 being kept under LED but Blue/14K white...fun times...this is kinda like the who can grow zoa's experements.

Munch;321318 said:
Pictures are incredibly hard to judge. That's why I'd never definitively say whether one is or isn't a Sunburst based on a pic. I do have both, and there is a clear distinction my mind between the two. While my Gucci Sunburst is orange with speckled green base, there is no doubt, it doesn't have the yellowish tips I've seen on my true Colorado Sunburst, and others that I've seen.

Could it change under MH? Maybe, hard to say. I might buy a MH setup and see :)

I'm going to take alot of pictures of the way things look right now. Going to try and dublicate lighting/camera for each picture so i can get as good a comparison as possible.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If I remember from a talk from Walt Smith years back, these are collected in mostly shallow water. If this is indeed true, then true UV could make a huge difference it is present in water down to 3M in the ocean. I don't mean LED UV (which is violet), but real UV like VHO and MH give off (and t5 to some extent).

Lights matter.

I'm excited to see how my nems react when I get the 180 up, using 400w mh hqi, now to decide whether i want to run 20k or the 14k bulbs... Decisions decisions

I had several yellow tips or fully yellow wild bubble tip anemones over the years none of em sunburst .

Over 12" wide pics were taken under t5s

Different kind 6" long under mix LEDs

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
They are not sunbursts, even though people sell them as such. I have several of them too. They are nice wild rainbows, but if they are anything like mine, they will never look like a Colorado Sunburst.

Here is my iPhone pic of a colorado sunburst bought from loosehip. At first I had them in my frag tank with eve 200w led along with 4 56w T5 and it wasn't happy and colored. Now its in my 180 gallon sps tank with two 400w 20k MH, three deep ocean blue 150 kessil, three chinese 165w full spectrum.