Commercial Foods...

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Who all uses different dry foods? I am curious what people are using for foods other than frozen and various types of nori.

I personally use NLS Thera a+ 1mm color enhancing sinking pellets with garlic.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I dont feed dry food or pellets, if it didnt come from the ocean its not getting fed to my critters.

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
sethsolomon;276759 said:
Who all uses different dry foods? I am curious what people are using for foods other than frozen and various types of nori.

I personally use NLS Thera a+ 1mm color enhancing sinking pellets with garlic.

I use the same but I add in the extreme seaweed pellets for the tangs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Maybe I am going about this all wrong.

My nightly feed is a DIY mash-up of seafoods with Selcon and a small amount cyclop-eeze.
For a treat every couplf of days I feed Mysis shrimp and cyclop-eeze.
For the tangs I put part of a Nori sheet in every other day to supplement my DIY mix.
The for the Lawn Mower and Tangs I use algae pellets on the days I do not put in Nori.
About twice a week I use flakes and normal pellets instead of my mix.

I plan to add ReefChili to this mess starting this weekend to feed my LPS, SPS, Sofites, and Zoas.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
guess im just too lazy to do all that... ive always just done the NLS pellets, seaweed extreme pellets, cyclop-eeze, and reef chili in an auto feeder... refill once a month or so.... never had an issue with over feeding nor frozen food left out and rotting...

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Blindrage;276774 said:
Maybe I am going about this all wrong.

My nightly feed is a DIY mash-up of seafoods with Selcon and a small amount cyclop-eeze.
For a treat every couplf of days I feed Mysis shrimp and cyclop-eeze.
For the tangs I put part of a Nori sheet in every other day to supplement my DIY mix.
The for the Lawn Mower and Tangs I use algae pellets on the days I do not put in Nori.
About twice a week I use flakes and normal pellets instead of my mix.

I plan to add ReefChili to this mess starting this weekend to feed my LPS, SPS, Sofites, and Zoas.

I do a lot of different foods but commercial food is also in my mix every other day I switch between pellet and frozen mysis and cyclopeeze pack alternating that within the frozen day I'm also about to start using the new reef energy from red sea after my current phyto and other plankton mix is used up

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mysis is not from the ocean. Some people don't know that, but some do.

I do about 66% NLS pellets, 30% PE Mysis and I fill in the rest with some flake, marine cuisine, or whatever else I have on hand. I have had good success with Formula II pellets as a supplement, but the fish don't like them as much as the NLS.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I forgot, now that I have larger triggers again, I will add some shredded raw squid, ocotpus and krill into the mix.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice! Yah I wanted to get a general idea of what people fed and such. Got the thought when I was reading a post about some people feeding flake food and got into looking into the makeup of flake food versus other commercially made foods. A lot of flake foods have pure phosphorus. Which was a little off putting but maybe I am just being a worry wart.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I'm doing an experiment this week. I picked up 4 bags of dried seaweed from the Asian market and may try some more. I am going to rehydrate it and see how the fish like it. Think it might be a little better than the nori sheets since this is whole leaves.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I was trying actual dried seaweed not nori. Fish didn't take to it. They like the sheets more.