completely new to this

Hey all,
Me and the girlfriend are pretty new to this hobby. We are David and Jenessa. After doing alot of research (I know it'll never be enough), but we decided to start a reef tank. It'll be stocked with different corals and fish. I built the stand by hand from scratch, think it'll hold more than just fine. I have it filled right now with just tap water to help rinse any dust plastic pieces, from cutting. I know our next step is to buy an RO/DI system and salt mix with 55 gal containers. As well as rock and sand. Any helpful tips to get this off the ground would be appreciated. We dont have lights yet as I've read it's not needed for initial cycling. This is how i have it setup so far.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome. It is a fun hobby... more fun if you have some patience and don't kill a bunch of stuff.

Avoid the temptation to start with dry rock - it will just cause you lots of problems.

I use 44G brute containers for both RO and mixing, they are food grade - any size will do.

What size of tank is it? Dimensions?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
:welcome: to the club and the addiction :) Your in for a long but awesome journey. Don't forget the number one rule to reefing is Patience. There is a really great group here and will all help with anything we can, so dont be afraid to ask, ...or come to our meetings. Look forward to seeing you tank progress

edit: You also may want to consider picking a jebao Dual controller for those two pumps. You can run them separate like that but with a dual controller you can cut down the plugs/outlets being use by one and you can also sync the pumps so you can create many different wave patterns with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaunv

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome! You've come to the right place. Lot's of great people here with tons of knowledge and Colorado is full of amazing corals!

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome. You've got access to lots of great guys, some with 10+ years in the hobby. Don't b afraid to ask questions!

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome! Make sure you have good drip loops for anything coming down to the power strip from the display tank. Looks like a great start so far.

jda123;337107 said:
Welcome. It is a fun hobby... more fun if you have some patience and don't kill a bunch of stuff.

Avoid the temptation to start with dry rock - it will just cause you lots of problems.

I use 44G brute containers for both RO and mixing, they are food grade - any size will do.

What size of tank is it? Dimensions?
Why do you think dry rock would be bad? We were planning on getting reef saver rock from brs.

As for a collection of corals we were planning a few lps sps 1 or 2 ananomes and about 6-8 fish. Which would be a pair of clowns, 1 yellow and 1 blue tang, mandarin goby, moorish idol, snowflake eel, and 1 or 2 others i cant remember the name of. Lighting we havent decided on yet. Either t5 or led.

Moorish idols are cool but I'd be weary as the can nip corals. A lot of people also combine LED and t5 lighting as opposed to one or the other, another option you might consider. Sounds like it'll be a cool setup though, and lastly, welcome!

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Moorish Idols are definitely best left to experts and should have a bigger tank. A Heniochus is a good alternative, but still likes a lot of space.

Skrappy

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would be worried about the eel eating the mandarin. Not having an eel will allow you to keep lots more cool small fish, and I hear eels are kinda heavy on the bioload as well.