Coral Banded Shrimp Babies

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I bought a banded coral shrimp a couple weeks ago. She was pregnant at the time, but I didn't think anything of it. A few days ago I noticed the eggs were gone off her and then a day later she molted! Today as I was watching my tank I noticed little itty bitty clear looking "bugs" swimming under a rock. Is it possible that these babies hatched? If so, will they survive in the tank long enough to grow and be removed?​

If you have fish I was told they wont make it long (any babies). If its a coral only tank with nothing that will eat them I imagine they could grow up. I have 2 peppermint shrimp and I have noticed one of them really swollen twice with white bumps in the belly, it has gone away but months later I haven't found any new shrimp. I'm no expert thou!

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Where she laid the eggs is a perfect spot because the fish don't go under it. I thought for sure the fish would eat the eggs and they didn't. There were a few swimming around yesterday and the fish didn't even seem to notice. I think they may make it.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
LittleCrabby101 said:
Where she laid the eggs is a perfect spot because the fish don't go under it. I thought for sure the fish would eat the eggs and they didn't. There were a few swimming around yesterday and the fish didn't even seem to notice. I think they may make it.
Awesome well hopefully they live. When you feed, feed the fish in an opposite spot and than squirt a tiny amount of food near them.

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
09bumblebee;187010 said:
Awesome well hopefully they live. When you feed, feed the fish in an opposite spot and than squirt a tiny amount of food near them.
I hope they live it's kinda cool. I counted at least 10 active ones so maybe a few will make it and get bigger ;) They are definately coming out when feeding time happens.

Ghosty

Butterfly Fish
Nice! Any pics?

I hope they make it too, keep us posted. If you are over flowing with shrimps let me know I would buy a couple from ya :) My fish patrol every inch of my tank, my Grammas are constantly in and out of the rockwork so nothing lives long if its small. Good Luck!

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ghxst;187017 said:
I hope they make it too, keep us posted. If you are over flowing with shrimps let me know I would buy a couple from ya :) My fish patrol every inch of my tank, my Grammas are constantly in and out of the rockwork so nothing lives long if its small. Good Luck!
I will keep you posted for sure! Maybe my fish just haven't found the fry yet, I hope they don't! I noticed these guys a few days ago and thought I was seeing things lol but since then they've gotten a little bit bigger. They are staying underneath a rock because you can see them shooting in and out.

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ghosty;187016 said:
Nice! Any pics?
No pics yet they are so small and quick. Hopefully if they get bigger I can put them in a QT and get some photos.

LittleCrabby101

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here's some info I found---at the bottom it stated that this has not been successfully done in captivity

[h=4]Things You'll Need[/h]
  • Breeding aquarium
  • Rearing aquarium
  • Mated pair of coral-banded shrimp
  • Live rock
  • Argonite sand
  • Small light
  • Aquarium air pump
  • Limewood diffuser
  • Live baby brine shrimp
  • Finely crushed flake food
Show (7) More

[h=2]Instructions[/h]
    • 1 Set up a dedicated breeding aquarium for the coral-banded shrimp. The temperature of the water should be 75 degrees, the pH should be 8.2 and the specific gravity should be 1.024. You will also likely need to use iodine supplements. Add live rock and create a cave in which the shrimp can hide. Use argonite sand or aquarium gravel for a substrate.

• 2 Set up a 10-gallon rearing tank with no rocks, substrate or filters. Use an air pump with a limestone diffuser set on the lowest setting to provide a very slow current. Cover the front, back and sides of the rearing tank with black plastic to prevent light from entering. Leave the top open and place a light above the water. The water parameters of the rearing tank should be the same as the breeding tank.

Select a mated pair of coral-banded shrimp and add them to a dedicated aquarium. You can find mated pairs at some local fish stores and online. Coral-banded shrimp are territorial and will kill each other if they are not mated pairs.

• 4 Feed the shrimp a variety of meaty foods. Coral-banded shrimp are carnivores and will accept chopped fish or shrimp, blood worms, brine shrimp and other meaty frozen foods. The shrimp must be well-fed to produce viable larvae.

• 5 Add a small light over one area of the aquarium and turn off the other lights when the female has an egg-sack. The larvae will be attracted to the light and will be easier to remove.

• 6 Scoop the larvae from under the light with a clean cup and transfer it to the rearing tank.

• 7 Feed the larvae of the coral-banded shrimp baby brine shrimp and finely crushed meaty flake food in small quantities up to 10 times a day. Some sources suggest having a continuous supply of food entering the rearing aquarium.

• 8 Keep the water in the rearing tank free from ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. The constant addition of food will cause these levels to spike very quickly. You may need to use an ammonia sponge in the tank to absorb ammonia and prevent it from becoming nitrite.

• 9 Siphon any uneaten food from the bottom of the rearing tank with air-line tubing. The small tube will help ensure you do not suck in the larvae. You should do this several times daily to prevent the food from rotting and spoiling the water.

• 10 Transfer the larvae that have metamorphosed into small coral-banded shrimp to grow-out tanks. Mated pairs may form and the shrimp may become aggressive with each other. Keep them separated. Grow-out tanks are small aquariums or shallow trays connected to a filtration system.

• 11 Continue to feed the coral-banded shrimps meaty foods until they are about 3/4 inch long. At this point you should be able to sell or trade them to a local fish store.