Coral Dipping with Povidone

Yesterday was a great DBTC frag trade! I know that the temptation to throw all those great coral in your display tank is huge, but be sure to dip your corals atleast. I'm personally QTing my new corals and dipping in Povidone-iodine. This is also known as prep iodine.

Povidone-Iodine is more of a slow-release iodine, it seems to stress the corals a lot less. I had some xenias that were pulsing while they were being treated! It is also much cheaper than other iodine treatments.

I found a great thread that details its use:
http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/2531?page=2

Version 1.0-----------
Povidone iodine 10%
-------------------
- Keep out of reach of children.
- Do not get in eyes.
- If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center immmediately.

General purpose dipping guide
-----------------------------

Mix with saltwater according to coral type. Immerse the corals in the dip, and agitate periodically with a turkey baster. Inspect for pests and their eggs. You may find redbugs, acro eating flatworms, red planaria, monti eating nudibranchs, zoanthid eating nudibranchs, zoanthid spiders, and others.
The pests may be stunned enough to be blown off the coral, but not necessarily killed.
After dipping, rinse and quarantine the coral.
Acros
3ml/liter 25 min

Montis
2ml/liter 10-15 min

Zoas
3-4ml/liter 25 min

LPS
3ml/liter 25 min

Softies
3ml/liter 25 min

Some corals have tolerated up to 2ml dip per 8oz saltwater for 25 minutes. Montis may lose color at this concentration of dip. 2ml/8oz should be the strongest concentration to use if you are experimenting. Iodine levels peak at approximately this dosage rate, and will actually decrease as you add more of the dip.
Depending on the coral type and pests, other treatments to consider:
Flatworm Exit for red planaria
Fluke Tabs for red planaria
Interceptor for redbugs and possibly zoa spiders
Hydrogen peroxide in saltwater for zoa fungus
Furan 2 for zoa pox
Lugol's in saltwater
Lugol's in freshwater

Apparently they rate Revive as a better product,

Ingredients for the DIYer:

0.5% oleum abietis
(fir pine oil)

0.5% citrus limon
(lemon peel oil)

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/2531?page=5

And ReVive looks like it is quite cheap, so it may not be worth while. I'll be interested in trying it out.