Coral I'd

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
First one i have no idea, looks like a dying plate coral to me. second one is a paly, looks similiar to a pink and gold, but Im probably wrong

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
The first one has grown like crazy I got small chunks of this from some frag rack and this piece has really done well

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Cool after a little reading it is a fungia or what ever .....I can't wait to see what it grows up to be lol.. also the zoa is more yellow and blue to my eye I know the cell phone pics suck

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh and maybe what you two see as dying is just the frag disc i glued it to but idk.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
If its a fungia you probably should not have glues it down, I think they like to move, I could be completly wrong as I dont keep them, but I vaugly remember hearing this

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
hmm well it was encrusting on to some egg crate and when i cut the crate it broke into flakes this is some of the flakes just glued down now they formed into one and keep growing maybe when its larger I can figure some way to remove frag disc. Hopefully I can save this I would be really bummed if I screwed it up.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
It doesnt sound like fungia to me, does it have a mouth? The best way I can describe a fungia is an enemone type animal with a hard skeletal bottom, the tenticles pertrude fomr this hard skeletal body and there is a mouth in the middle

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
mathewkofalk;265240 said:
No mouth that I can see

Its not a fungia than I dont think, I agree with Fred on the possibility of a tounge coral

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
jgonzz wins markings on skeleton look like what I saw listed as a cactus coral but yeah it came up with pavona. Now ......how to get this guy to grow upwards.

mathewkofalk

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Part of the problem was the way it chipped off the frag rack I'm very curious now too. I really want to see what this thing turns into I'm gonna try to find mor pieces of it and make another frag! But yeah I looked at close ups of the skeletal structure and its red with white veins running in it just like some of the pictures I saw.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
close but not the same....they grow in same areas but from what i understand, fungia grow is a circular pattern and are able to split themselves where as the polyphyllia grows oblong and is not able to split itself...