Coral Magazine...Taking shots at reefcentral?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Drtmnky
I can see that you have found every piece of research that you can to support your feelings. If you look at a broader view you will see that humans do have a profound impact on the earth, particularly the ocean. I have no problem with harvesting the ocean for the aquarium trade or for food. I think the ocean is huge and is yet to show us even a fraction of what we can learn for medicine etc. It would be terrible to destroy it before we get a chance to research the incredible amount of ocean we have. That said, the earth reefs are fragile and can only live in a finite part of the ocean. Pesticides and fertilizers are effecting the reefs around the world as well as other environmental factors (both man made and natural) to think we have little to no effect on the ocean is to live in ignorant bliss.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
RB posted that a few days ago Brent. It is a really good read.

For the record I did not post this to become a GW debate(Lets debate Repub VS Dem when neither gives a $#!t about the people). While I agree that, in comparison, we have a much smaller impact on the oceans than other issues. Shouldn't we want to have as minimal an impact as possible. While we may be in this for the love of the animals, there are far too many people in it for money or art. I have a handful of Wholesalers that I will use because I believe, that while they want to make a buck, they do not look at losses and improper care as acceptable. However the majority of wholesalers will drop hundreds of mandarins into the same 40 gallon tank and 6" triggers into a box not big enough for them to swim. The conditions are similar to puppy farms(without the breeding), but no one cares. This industry that supports this hobby is far from humane. Leopard Sharks for instance are harvested by catching pregnant mothers and gutting them for the babies while still alive. I don't want the hobby ended, but the more we know as the consumer, the more we can change things.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
spstimie;111716 said:
Leopard Sharks for instance are harvested by catching pregnant mothers and gutting them for the babies while still alive.
I agree with everything that Shaun just stated.

If the article would have been framed in this manner, it would have garnered wider appeal. Instead they framed it in a way that appealed mainly to the radical environmentalist.

Solutions are hard to apply when the rhetoric is saturating a topic.

Wholesalers won't harvest animals they don't have a market for. Retailers could do their part by not having difficult to care for animals and corals for sale. However consumer demand will always triumph and until people stop buying tangs for their 25g biocubes or buy sharks because they want to impress others with their badassness. Some retailers at least try and educate people about the animals before they purchase them but so many people just don't care because it's just a fish or a dog or a snake.

This is a problem in many pet hobbies. So many people buy cute baby Sulcata Tortoises even though they're told that they live 30+ years and can easily top 100 pounds. Message boards are full of people showing pictures of their cute small tortoises but it's very rare to actually see people with a full grown tortoise. Once the novelty wears off and they discover how destructive and messy these animals can be they are dumped on the side of the road or given to some dodgy rescue where they just go to die because the people running the rescue don't have a clue on how to raise a tortoise.

You think man can destroy the planet? What intoxicating vanity! Let me tell you about our planet. Earth is four-and-a-half-billion-years-old. There's been life on it for nearly that long, 3.8 billion years. Bacteria first; later the first multicellular life, then the first complex creatures in the sea, on the land. Then finally the great sweeping ages of animals, the amphibians, the dinosaurs, at last the mammals, each one enduring millions on millions of years, great dynasties of creatures rising, flourishing, dying away -- all this against a background of continuous and violent upheaval. Mountain ranges thrust up, eroded away, cometary impacts, volcano eruptions, oceans rising and falling, whole continents moving, an endless, constant, violent change, colliding, buckling to make mountains over millions of years. Earth has survived everything in its time.

It will certainly survive us. If all the nuclear weapons in the world went off at once and all the plants, all the animals died and the earth was sizzling hot for a hundred thousand years, life would survive, somewhere: under the soil, frozen in arctic ice. Sooner or later, when the planet was no longer inhospitable, life would spread again. The evolutionary process would begin again. Might take a few billion years for life to regain its present variety. Of course, it would be very different from what it is now, but the earth would survive our folly, only we would not. If the ozone layer gets thinner, ultraviolet radiation sears earth, so what? Ultraviolet radiation is good for life. It's powerful energy. It promotes mutation, change. Many forms of life will thrive with more UV radiation. Many others will die out. You think this is the first time that's happened? Think about oxygen. Necessary for life now, but oxygen is actually a metabolic poison, a corrosive glass, like fluorine.

When oxygen was first produced as a waste product by certain plant cells some three billion years ago, it created a crisis for all other life on earth. Those plants were polluting the environment, exhaling a lethal gas. Earth eventually had an atmosphere incompatible with life. Nevertheless, life on earth took care of itself. In the thinking of the human being a hundred years is a long time. Hundred years ago we didn't have cars, airplanes, computers or vaccines. It was a whole different world, but to the earth, a hundred years is nothing. A million years is nothing. This planet lives and breathes on a much vaster scale. We can't imagine its slow and powerful rhythms, and we haven't got the humility to try. We've been residents here for the blink of an eye. If we're gone tomorrow, the earth will not miss us
michal crichton ...jurasic park

as far as mans inhumanity twards man and animals ya man is the bigest a$$hole this planet has ever seen

This post on our website does not in any way reflect the views of CORAL Magazine.

The guy who wrote it is a rabidly anti-aquarium activist, and we have left the post up just so that other aquarists can see what our foes have to say.

I'm sorry that some of you think that CORAL approves of these views.

spstimie

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
James Lawrence;111836 said:
This post on our website does not in any way reflect the views of CORAL Magazine.
The guy who wrote it is a rabidly anti-aquarium activist, and we have left the post up just so that other aquarists can see what our foes have to say.
I believe someone had mentioned that this was a blog entry and not a CORAL magazine article, but thank you for the clarification.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
James Lawrence;111836 said:

This is awesome service! All the way to our little club, registered a name, just to clarify! That sweet and thanks for the clarification!