1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Corals for a Not-So-Coral-Friendly Tank

Discussion in 'Coral' started by JoshHill83, Jun 13, 2016.

1. JoshHill83

JoshHill83 Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

I have a slight dilemma... I'm wondering what I can do to liven up my tank a bit. I have a 400 gallon FOWLR tank, with another 200+ in filtration, and I feel like it's finished. I have the lighting, filtration and rock work that I want. I need it to do more in some way or fashion. Most of my fish are reef safe from a coral standpoint, but my 10" golden puffer seems to like anything I put in there. He ate about 40-50 large 2+ inch green mushrooms in 2 days the one time I had any coral in there. (Have some wrasses and a grouper that are technically not reef safe). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be ok with him? I was wondering about GSP, Kenya trees or maybe pulsing Xenia. My guy is telling me nothing will be ok, but I would love some insight from those more knowledgable than I.

Josh

2. scchase

scchase Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

Leathers, a lot of them are really nasty on the taste front and your best bet.

Miah2bzy likes this.
  3. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Club Member

yep agreed, leathers like kenyas, and toadstools would have the best chance as it is fairly rare that anything could stomach them. Cloves and xenia, might as well just in the fact that they grow so fast, but they could likely vanish like the mushrooms. Although they cheap and easy to find so maybe worth a try

4. Miah2bzy

Miah2bzy Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

Nems?

It takes more computing power to do 1 search of Google than it did to send Apollo 11 to the moon.

5. BryanF

BryanF Prawn M.A.S.C Club Member

I had what I called a predator reef for several years. I had triggers, a large grouper, puffers, a lion, etc. I couldn't do sps or especially lps but softies, nems, and zoas were always fine.

6. cremer9

cremer9 Amphipod

I have a bunch of devils hand leather I am clearing out if you would like some to try

7. JoshHill83

My puffer decided he wanted to eat all the mushroom and nems on a big rock that I put in his old tank about a year ago, so I think he would go for zoas as well. I'm going to try some pulsing Xenia that I have in my drag tank, along with a giant yellow leather I got back from a friend who didn't want it anymore.

8. JoshHill83

Yeah that would be great. Shoot me a PM or text and I could come grab them. Thanks! 720-745-3408