Corals for a Not-So-Coral-Friendly Tank

JoshHill83

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have a slight dilemma... I'm wondering what I can do to liven up my tank a bit. I have a 400 gallon FOWLR tank, with another 200+ in filtration, and I feel like it's finished. I have the lighting, filtration and rock work that I want. I need it to do more in some way or fashion. Most of my fish are reef safe from a coral standpoint, but my 10" golden puffer seems to like anything I put in there. He ate about 40-50 large 2+ inch green mushrooms in 2 days the one time I had any coral in there. (Have some wrasses and a grouper that are technically not reef safe). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be ok with him? I was wondering about GSP, Kenya trees or maybe pulsing Xenia. My guy is telling me nothing will be ok, but I would love some insight from those more knowledgable than I.

Josh

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Leathers, a lot of them are really nasty on the taste front and your best bet.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
yep agreed, leathers like kenyas, and toadstools would have the best chance as it is fairly rare that anything could stomach them. Cloves and xenia, might as well just in the fact that they grow so fast, but they could likely vanish like the mushrooms. Although they cheap and easy to find so maybe worth a try

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nems?

It takes more computing power to do 1 search of Google than it did to send Apollo 11 to the moon.

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had what I called a predator reef for several years. I had triggers, a large grouper, puffers, a lion, etc. I couldn't do sps or especially lps but softies, nems, and zoas were always fine.

JoshHill83

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
BryanF;n653533 said:
I had what I called a predator reef for several years. I had triggers, a large grouper, puffers, a lion, etc. I couldn't do sps or especially lps but softies, nems, and zoas were always fine.
My puffer decided he wanted to eat all the mushroom and nems on a big rock that I put in his old tank about a year ago, so I think he would go for zoas as well. I'm going to try some pulsing Xenia that I have in my drag tank, along with a giant yellow leather I got back from a friend who didn't want it anymore.