Cross-brace on tank

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
So, my salt water tank technically was a thick glass vivarium tank. So it does not have a cross brace on it. The only complication I ran into is tank lid. Its 36x18, which I can find glass lids, but they are always two parts. I have tried making a brace out of plastic from home depot. That bowed and popped from the weight of the glass lid. Then when I built my sump and had scrap glass, I cut a nice glass brace. It worked perfect for about a week until I slipped with the lid closing it and it shatter the brace. Any suggestions? I just really want the lid to work to reduce evaporation rate.

I thought about maybe using aryclic. My main concern if double layer glass broke I will run into same issue of it breaking.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
How are you attaching the brace? And how think of glass you using for it.
I know on Oceanic tanks they put a 3/4 piece of glass, that's siliconed into the front and back middle of the tank. This makes for a very strong center brace and if I break or need to replace a brace on a tank this is how I do it. Given the thickness of the glass and a good silicon bond around both ends you will have a very strong brace that should hold up to the weight of the lid and then some.

mbjnt

Turbo Snail
Mine with the double layer was about 1/3 inch thick. I silicon bonded the front and back (it held, the glass did not). Was glass I found at Home-Depot (Lowes had none) which I doubled up. Where would be a good place for thicker glass?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Go to a glass shop for thicker glass. Make sure they seam the edges for you as they will be sharp. I'd go with 1/2" or 5/8" whatever they carry. Plate glass not tempered.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya that home depot glass is horrible and far to thin, many local glass and mirror places will do cut pieces to order. I believe this is the place I had some panels done for my front door and sump http://www.edgewaterglassinc.com/