Cube Tank with Center Overflow

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
So a quick intro to the tank and design im toying with. I am looking to setup a 100-120g cube (depending on height and widths... toying with a 32-36' cube with a 24-28" depth). I want the cube to have 0 braces overtop, and possibly bracing at the bottom, but am preferring a rimless tank with a Kessil 360w to hang overtop. The tank will have an Island/volcano theme to it. I have about 300lb, give or take, of live rock and close to 100lb of sand too, so the sand bed for the tank will be close to 3", and the rock will fully surround the overflow and hide it and the return pumps/circulators completely.

I am looking to do a center overflow with a dual wall (1 wall on the outside of the "overflow" allowing water to come in through the low, middle and top sections of the tank behind the rock work then overflowing into the true overflow, also reducing the chance of snails/hermits going down the overflow). With this dual design, i believe i can achieve water movement behind my rock work, enough such that crap wont build up behind the rocks. Now with that said... I have Korellia pumps for water movement, and these pumps unfortunately will be on the side of the tank (sides i wont be looking at... lol) but as far as the cords go for this, is there anyway to hide the cords, or rather run them down the middle of the tank with the overflow? I want to make the tank a 360 degree tank eventually, and am toying with the idea of adding flats of acrylic/glass to the 2nd overflow behind the rocks and securing my pumps to that vs having them on the sides. I have thought about triple drilling the tank (if the overflow is big enough), and allowing a 1.5" drain, 1" return and a 1.5"-2" tall pvc with bulkhead to prevent leakage, but running any cords through that and down to the sump area where ill have my controllers/power strips. Is this possible? or does anyone have any other ideas? also any imput on the tank and design are much appreciated.

I WILL Do a build thread when it comes down to it, but right now its pen, paper and my... View attachment 13563

JNG

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Go to you tube and check out the volcano tank. He then made it into a basin tank by Konolua. might help give you some ideas.
tried adding a link but didn't work for me.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
36" cube with a 6" overflow (guessing if you are running returns up it too) will give you 15" from center to side for rock stacking and coral. Is this enough for your plans? ...this is a little more than the depth of a 55G which is hard to rock-scape. Most of the center overflow tanks that I have seen are 48x48 which give 22-22 inches of center-to-side space.

xxHLTxx

Detritus
M.A.S.C Club Member
well i had a 55g, and yes the rock scaping was difficult, but as JNG showed me, the volcano tank setup does look cool, so i may be adding a pvc structure to the rocks and that way i can overhand or provide shelfs. I believe ill have enough room and if i dont, im talking with Craigar about a stand, and worst case i can make the "center Overflow" a more pushed back overflow but not be on the back wall. giving me about 22 on the front and almost 10 in the back... to allow for some tight corners for shrimp and small fish to hide and feel safe in. Only issue with me getting a tank thats a 40-48" cube is that doorways are not usually ideal for getting a tank that size through, and although i can get it through standing it up on its side, id rather not go THAT big because idk if ill be moving in a few years and dont want to transport a cube tank that wont fit in my car.