Dc pumps

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Who uses what DC pump and why? I am trying to to see if I want to go this route or stay with my current plan. MDM Sequence Hammerhead Gold.

Thanks

Martin

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
I have a Ecotech M1 and a Reef Octopus 5500 for my return pumps. I like the flow but I bought them both used.

They both do good the ecotech is a little quieter but that about it.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have used both the ecotech and aquamedic versions. Either one will work for ya.

static reef

SCMAS Board Members
S.C.M.A.S BOD
I have both on my system. Hammerhead for return pump and Dc pump for my salt mixing station. The apex runs the dc pump at low setting throughout the week. Then when I hit a toggle all of my mp40s ramp up to 100% (to stir up detritus on sandbeds), heaters and reactors turn off and my dc pump ramps up to 100% for 5 minutes for final salt stir before adding new saltwater to the system.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
A DC pump will take a lot of wattage at head. A AC pump like a mag or laguna will take very little wattage not at head. There is not as much heat and electrical savings as people think in a high-head operation.

Keep reliability in mind. Most DC pumps have had several iterations in the few years that they have been out. Even if the first DC pump that ever hit the market was still running (unlikely), this would still not be as long as most other Reef pumps.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
For sure I would not run a DC pump for high head. I would go with a reeflo pump for that application. Most reeflo pumps are very low amp (3-4amps) even at full speed.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
How much are you trying to move? Iwaki, PanWorld or the like are much better under pressure than a Sequence. They don't move a ton, though... maybe up to 2000 GPH. There are people who have been using a Iwaki or PanWorld for 15+ years.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Order a few new sets of seals now. They don't last and you want them on the shelf rather than have a leak for a week while you get new ones.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yep I have used these pumps before. I have changed my hammerhead to dolphin seals. works great and last forever.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dolphin makes Ampmaster pumps - some of the best on the market IMO. The seals on their pumps for saltwater use will last nearly forever. I have been ran one solid from like 1998 to just a year or two ago. I have heard to people putting the dolphin seals in other pumps, but never any details. What is interesting is that many folks have bought many other pumps when if they would have bought at Ampmaster the first time, they would have been way ahead.

I run a jebao dct8000 on my nano. I do it for controllability and sps eventually . I run it at 40% right now and have excellent turn over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk