Denver newbie, and new tank

Hi everyone,

I recently moved here to Denver, like many others, and I've been itching for a saltwater tank for a while, and I finally decided to pull the trigger on one and bought a used 125 gallon with a stand. The plan is to develop and progress through the types of coral as my experience grows. I was buying some rock from a person who selling on craigslist and he mentioned that I check out MASC

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Welcome, if you have and questions feel free to ask.

Any pictures of your tank so far?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Here's the tank with everything set up and running. All the rocks were cooked and cured with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 60ppm nitrates when they were in the curing buckets. The tank params are all 0. The lights are cheap 360watt LED's I got off eBay. I'm not completely happy with them, but I want to see the LED aquarium light market mature a bit more before I shell out the full cash for something special. I also need to put a canopy together for this, but I'm not sure how to make one at all.

Sump is a 29g.

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Welcome to MASC! There are lots of great tank build threads on this site you can search if you want to get some ideas for your hood.

projectx

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome! great folks here

A canopy isnt too difficult, depending on what type of door system you want. if you frame it the same length and depth out of 2x2's and then skin it. with with a nice birch or oak 1/4" plywood, Keeps the weight down. also over lap the front and sides with the skin about an inch, keeps it from being pushed off.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
TheRealChrisBrown;n664046 said:
Welcome to MASC. What kind of lights are you running? Looks great so far!!
Lol, I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that, I obviously wasn't reading very carefully! I've seen some decent tanks lit with "Chinese Black Boxes", good coral growth too. I have AI Hydra52's, but the corals didn't start taking off until I added some t5 supplemental lighting and got a par meter to dial in the lights.

Thanks for the kind welcome's!

projectx;n664064 said:
Welcome! great folks here

A canopy isnt too difficult, depending on what type of door system you want. if you frame it the same length and depth out of 2x2's and then skin it. with with a nice birch or oak 1/4" plywood, Keeps the weight down. also over lap the front and sides with the skin about an inch, keeps it from being pushed off.
I'm not that familiar with woodworking, I sanded, reinforced, and stained the stand and that's about it. I think I'd like it if the door just kind of swung up up front and flipped to the top. I'm going to have to find some lumber yard or something because the prices of wood at Home Depot would make the canopy significantly more expensive than what I paid for the tank and the stand.

TheRealChrisBrown;n664065 said:
Lol, I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that, I obviously wasn't reading very carefully! I've seen some decent tanks lit with "Chinese Black Boxes", good coral growth too. I have AI Hydra52's, but the corals didn't start taking off until I added some t5 supplemental lighting and got a par meter to dial in the lights.
Yep, I read a lot of pretty decent reviews about these chinese lights, but I'll definitely need to add some t5 to get the coloring I want in the tank. The lights are probably much brighter than I expect in the water, but I won't know until I get a PAR meter at some point. But if I can hold off for about a year, I'm going to get something nice like the Kessil's or whatever comes out that's better by then

Mermaid Gardens

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Welcome to the Aquatics Anonymous saltwater addiction.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
:welcome:

just image fyi... any image over 1200px in any directions will automatically get downsized to those small images. Try downsizing the image yourself to under 1200 px on the longest edge, when you upload again it will correct it