Diagnosis Help!

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Two days ago I thought I saw a slightly faded area on my Blue Spotted Jawfish's skin. Today I noticed that the area has some raised bumps. I am now terrified that this is Brook.

I need some quick expert advice on what this might be and the best way I should go about treating this.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm not sure what Brook looks like...
Are there larger-mouthed fish in the tank that might've bit him? It almost looks like a bite mark.

Coralfrenzy

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Other fish in the tank are yellow tang, naso tang, 2 clowns, 2 dart fish, lawnmower blenny, banded sand sifting goby, mandarin and 4 shrimp, as well as a number of various sized hermits (some pretty big). Haven't seen any aggression out of anyone except for a little from the yellow tang toward the mandarin when we added him last week and that was just a little fin flipping for the first 2-3 days.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd suspect the lawnmower blenny, yellow tang, or possibly the goby... highest on the list would be the lawnmower blenny. They can be fearless, highly territorial, and they are biters. The starry blenny (very similar to lawnmowers) I had got named Pugnacious B after he took a chunk out of my hand.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am also seeing another location on him that is not as bad that is just behind the two small fins on his front bottom body. The area has a faded look, and is slightly raised. This seems like a very hard spot for another fish to get a bite in on, so I am would be surprised if this is a bit mark.

I will keep doing research and keep an eye on him tonight. Nothing I can really do until tomorrow anyway, so I will start setting up the QT in case he needs to move, and can pick up any meds needed tomorrow after work.

Keep any other ideas coming, and thanks for making me feel a lot better about the possibility of it being Brook.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
If it's not bite marks... QT is a good choice. I honestly don't know what it could be.
Are you seeing anything at all similar on any of your other fish?

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
All other fish seem just fine. No faded skin or white marks on them anywhere.

I sure trust you guys more than my own judgement since I have zero experience with fish health. I will just keep a very close eye on him.

Good news is that he is acting normal. No heavy breathing. Eating like the pig he is, and still cleaning his burrow and moving rocks. So he just not seem distressed at whatever is going on.

I will just hope everything works out for now.

My starry has recently left two nice circular bites on my foxface and lawnmowers are nearly as ferocious if they feel encroached upon. Could be bites for sure. Foxface heals with no scarring within a week.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks like a wound. Is it still eating quite well? If so, see if it heals over the next day, or so. It should quickly heal if the fish is healthy.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks, and yes he is eating like the pig he has shown himself to be.

The swelling is still there this morning, but the white bumps seem to have faded a little. He is still acting normal, so things are looking good.

FinsUp

M.A.S.C Club Member
yeah, if it's bite marks, then they should heal fast as long as he's eating well and healthy. The main concern is infection. If he's healthy, that's less of an issue.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know it already seems to be the consensus...but I'd go with bite marks as well, and my money is on the blenny.

By starry blenny is a temperamental ***** with my pearly jawfish; he would dive headfirst into his burrow to try to attack him for 2 weeks. Now he leaves him alone for the most part...but sometimes my jawfish will go into hiding for several days as he builds a new burrow after getting chased for venturing out too far into the tank.

The mark on your jawfish looks like it's the same shape as the bite mark my blenny has left on my wrasse in an attack I witnessed. Didn't look as bad as your jawfish (just some missing scales in that same pattern), and it took a few weeks but he healed up. I'd just do your best to keep the water pristine and make sure he keeps eating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Everyone keep your eyes open for a LMB DTBC if I find out he is being aggressive to Blu. A little fin flipping to work things out I can live with. Anyone that causes this kind of damage is begging for a trip on the porcelin highway, but since I would never flush a fish it just means a tank of his very own until I could find him a new home.

Big D

Turbo Snail
M.A.S.C Club Member
LMB

Blindrage;288108 said:
Everyone keep your eyes open for a LMB DTBC if I find out he is being aggressive to Blu. A little fin flipping to work things out I can live with. Anyone that causes this kind of damage is begging for a trip on the porcelin highway, but since I would never flush a fish it just means a tank of his very own until I could find him a new home.
i have a 40breeder nothin in it but coral lost my wrasse committed suicide.about 2 weeks ago by dehydration (open top)could have it all to himself if you need to put him there till you figure it out

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the offer, but I currently have 5 tanks sitting around in the basement ranging from 10 to 90 gallons. I was going to set up the 10 if needed since I am pretty sure I could find him a home quickly if needed. He is a great guy and fun to watch, but this mark sure does look exactly like the kisses he leaves on the glass when he is going after the film algae.

It does remind me that I need to get the 72 and 90 written up with pics and posted to Craigslist to see if I can get rid of them.

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just thought I would drop an update in here.

Blu is doing better, not that he ever seemed to think there was anything wrong with him. The big spot on his side is no longer a bump. It has settled down to a slightly faded spot on his skin. The other faded spot never developed into raised bumps, and they all seem to be slowly recoloring to normal.

I am not sure if this is the fish equivalent of a bruise or some kind of scabbing activity, but I am very happy that things are getting back to normal with him.

No one else in the tank has shown any signs of distress or marks. Thanks for helping to calm us down last week.