Diamond goby question

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just added a diamond goby to the tank yesterday and as expected the tank was kind of a sand storm this morning. He is busy making his cave and doing his thing.

I should mention that all of my rock work is epoxied and was put in before the sand so I'm not worried about a cave in. I don't keep corals on the sand so also no worries there.

Anything to be concerned with about the sand disruption? I run carbon and do 5g bi-weekly water changes. Just want to make sure it won't bother anything too much

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
How old is your sand bed? If there's no dark stuff in your sand bed you should be fine. He's filtering throw the bed, which will in turn clean it and that's why you get a sand storm.

As long as the sand isn't that dirty Theres no big deal.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tank will be a year old in October, so not very old when compared to other setups. No dark patches or anything line that.

I'm running some extra filter media to help clear it up. I'm sure it will go away as he gets more sifting done and the fine particles filter out.

These guys have so much personality!!

I just set up a tank this week and the diamond goby created a sandstorm yesterday morning. Took him a couple days to settle in but he's happy now and rearranging the tank.

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yup that's a good idea! I've had mine for about 2 years now and he flips the whole bed over about 4 times a day. My sand bed is clean as a whistle!

The only bad thing is the like to make a hole on one side of the tank and make a hill on the other hahaha!

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Can't believe how clean my sand is after adding this guy. Took a few days for the sandstorm to clear, but it's totally worth it. So much personality and is always busy at work sifting. He also is eating pellets and frozen that falls down onto the sand!

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
clowninaround7474;328909 said:
Can't believe how clean my sand is after adding this guy. Took a few days for the sandstorm to clear, but it's totally worth it. So much personality and is always busy at work sifting. He also is eating pellets and frozen that falls down onto the sand!
Awesome! Yeah I like them a lot. Although they're kind of dumb. He tries to eat reflections of food and bubbles. He really likes bubbles.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haha I haven't seen any of that behavior yet!

blkwell

Cleaner Shrimp
After mine got settled in he doesn't make much of a mess...different than the sleeper I had. He buried everything

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So far I don't have much of a mess either. But then again I don't have much on my sandbed