Diatoms all over the tank glass?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
hmm and that RO system doesnt appear to have a DI system with it and is mostly intended for drinking water, that could be a possible reason why the phosphates would be getting through.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
That would be my best guess, but other may know better, but I seem to remember reading something along those lines.
I will say though that my tank has been up and running for 2 years now and I still get stuff on the glass, returns within a day or so of cleaning the glass (especially now that I no longer run GFO on the tank) but my tang and my cleanup crew generally keep it fairly under control until I clean it again a week later.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Boom there you go, that was the article. nw Zombie
Dont know how exactly your ro system is setup but you may be able to just add a di resin to the last chamber in place of whatever is in there and then you would have an ro/di sytems. What kind of filter is in that last chamber?

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-bulk-deionization-resin-color-changing.html is what i use in mine. with a refillable cartridge that is a standard size for most ro/di filters

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks everyone. yea I just bought that single canister and hopefully that will start helping things. especially when the phosphates will be reduced with water changes and not increased.

CoralCultureUSA

Platinum Sponsors
Platinum Sponsor
I'm interested to know, how have things turned out for you Puma? Has the DI chamber helped in any way? Did you ever find the source of the phosphates and get the diatoms under control?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
any updates? see any changes after using the rodi?

SkyDiv3r17

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I clean my glass every 3 to 4 days.. That seems about right depending on the tank. Do larger water changes and things will slowly get better.

**haha oops this is mildy old.

Last edited by a moderator:
no not really any change. I've been using it for awhile now and still get the excessive growth on the sides. TDS meter shows 0, but guess my water just naturally has high prosphates.