• Use Algaefix Marine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What I did when I had GHA and bryopsis, I saved some old water from doing weekly waters changes. So once I had 10 to 15 gallons saved up, I pulled my infected rocks and scrubbed the hell out of them in the old water with a brush. Then scrubbed some more. Took a few tries for some of the rocks but man the sure beat what I was doing.

Might not be as easy for you as I have small rock in my BC29, I am sure some of your rocks are huge.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Picked up a tuxedo from CrisC. So far it has only been in my system a couple of hours. It already tore some pieces off and is cruising around with them. Cant see that it really ate any yet though.

I always wanted to try urchins, but I've heard that they are pretty bad bulldozers and I'm always regluing frags that my turbo snails knock down. Dont know if I want to add more bulldozer species.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm kind of just dealing with it at this point. Its not really growing anymore and I have been placing other macros over it to shade it out and hopefully take over its reef space. I manually pull it out once in a while and pick it off the urchin as well. And like you guessed the urchin is only picking it up but not eating it.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I am borrowing a Naso Tang from Premier (thanks Will). The dictoya hasn't really done much since this post but its still there. So far the Naso has been picking at the rocks with Dictoya on it. It hasn't touched any other of my macros but I have a close eye on him!

Holy crap I have a lot of fish in my tank now!!!

For those that are interested I will update this thread to let you know how its going, so far so good though!

Definately keep an eye on the Naso. I bought a bunch of nice macros from Reefcleaners and my Naso demolished them in a day. I love caulerpa prolifera and had a nice crop going and then suddenly wiped out within half an hour.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
This Naso is a champ!!! So far it has only eaten the dictoya. It has not even looked at any of my other macros. Of course now that I say this I am going to come home to all my macros wiped out! He is kind of shy though, spends most of his time in the back of the reef. He does venture out once in a while though and he really likes to buddy up with my Idol and they swill together.

Now I did take this Naso on a borrow basis but I am rather growing attached to the little feller. He is about 4" now and I am curious about their growth rate. Of course he is in a 125 now but in about a year and a half I will be moving and doing my upgrade at that time. How big do you think he will get in that time? Would he be ok in my 125 until then or will he outgrow it by then?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I get home from work and notice something. All of my dictoya is gone except for a couple small patches. This tang mowed down my whole reef in about a week. Dictoya problem, Naso worked for me.

Aku

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;95261 said:
So I get home from work and notice something. All of my dictoya is gone except for a couple small patches. This tang mowed down my whole reef in about a week. Dictoya problem, Naso worked for me.
Thats awesome. I just got a foxface that mowed down the all of the dictoya and grape caulerpa that I had in my tank. Was worried I was going to have to sign him up for the biggest loser, but tank looks great.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The Naso has gone back to his owner. After the dictoya it started chowing down all my other macros. Its like sitting a fat kid down at a buffet and telling him not to eat. So back he went. It was fun while it lasted though. I hope the dictoya doesn't come back but I know its wishful thinking. Until next time dictoya, next time!

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well that didnt take long at all. As soon as I removed the Naso the dictoya started growing back in the same places. Kind of strange because it looked picked clean on those rocks. Guess this stuff is way more invasive then previously thought. Back to the drawing board. Looks like this will just be a algae that I will have to deal with.