Direct Flow on SPS

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I totally messed up and placed a new frag of SSC acro in an area with too much direct flow. I couldn't feel it when I mounted the frag since my arm must have been blocking part of the return. PE was ok and it see was doing great. I noticed today that the base had some tissue loss and I only then realized my mistake. I moved the frag out of the way of the return but still in an area of good flow. Polyps are out and it seems to be happy... My only concern is the tissue loss. Should I cut the frag above the tissue loss and remount it, or just let it be and see what happens? I'd like to avoid waking up to a completely dead frag.

Hoping for the best but ticked at myself for such a stupid mistake.

BTW, all parameters are in check and all other corals are out and happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I had cut a piece of pink birdsnest that got knocked over on the sand bed and was white in spots. After about a week it managed to come back and you wouldn't know the difference. There's hope.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've actually never done that before... Any tips? I have a dremel with a diamond cutting blade on it. I assume low speed to avoid heat and just cut, and reglue?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Break the good part of the frag off by hand or coral cutters. The cutting blade isn't necessary. Then re-mount where you want it.

In my experience and observations it can depends on the water quality and how established the tank is. When my tank was 1 year old and a nem stung my first sps coral it took a while for it to heal. A year later the nem got tangled in it again and it got stung bad but the coral healed up surprisingly faster than before. Ive read there is more things for the sps to eat at night in better established tanks, maybe letting it heal faster? Good luck! Maybe try feeding it for better recovery?

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks for the tips. I figure when someone like Chris gives you advice on SPS, you should take it. I just recut it off of its plug and remounted it. The plug had areas of life still so I kept that in the tank also... We'll see how everything does. Fingers crossed! I'm gonna be super bummed if this thing dies... It's my favorite piece.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks like it made it through the night and has good PE this morning. Even the plug that had some life still looks good.

Still mad at myself for making this mistake but I guess thing just happen sometimes.

clowninaround7474

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks again for everyone's help and advice