DIY acrylic

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I've been thinking of upgrading lately. Who has built anything with acrylic? I am thinking of building my own aquarium but have no experience. I am pretty handy and would like to learn. Anyone have any suggestions where to start. Wanna teach me?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: DIY acrylic

No idea, melevsreef had pretty good walkthroughs. eBay has great pricing on cell cast acrylic, not sure on shipping though, might be cheaper to buy at the place by Ki's.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
i'll take a look at melsreef, the place by keys seems reasonable. I think I might pick up some 3/8" stuff and so a sump or something.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Just stopped by Fort Collins plastic today. First off, they were really nice and didn't mind all my newbe questions. I picked up some scrap, weld on and a scrapper. Welded my first things tonight. Small stuff seems really easy. I also checked out the prices. The Fort Collins place was way cheeper than colorado plastics (the place by ki's) the price for 1 piece was $118 in comparison to $151 in Fort Collins 3/8" 65x30 cell cast clear. I'm going to pick up some pieces and build a nano or something. Tomorrow I'll try my hand at flame polishing the edges and I'll try out the router this weekend if the weather is ok.

DIY acrylic

Static reef built his own acrylic quarantine tank and sump combo that turned out excellent. I would hit him up and I'm sure he could at least give some good info...

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member

Oh, well now you've sparked my interest. I'd love to try and make reef trinkets. I want to bend the acrylic though, think a toaster-oven gets hot enough?

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
H2O_intolerant;220519 said:
Oh, well now you've sparked my interest. I'd love to try and make reef trinkets. I want to bend the acrylic though, think a toaster-oven gets hot enough?

I actually used my electric stovetop heating element to bend a few 3/8" pieces. Put it on high, held steady over it about 1" away, and as soon as there was bubbles/popping (about 2 minutes) I pulled away and bent. Wife almost punched me in the face because it made the house stink. Wow, can only imagine if I slipped and ruined the stove top. Yeah pretty stupid idea, guess I don't recommend...

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

I have made a few items out of acrylic. To bend I just used a cheap propane torch.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member

daverf;220534 said:
I actually used my electric stovetop heating element to bend a few 3/8" pieces. Put it on high, held steady over it about 1" away, and as soon as there was bubbles/popping (about 2 minutes) I pulled away and bent. Wife almost punched me in the face because it made the house stink. Wow, can only imagine if I slipped and ruined the stove top. Yeah pretty stupid idea, guess I don't recommend...
You sir, have a big pair.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
DIY acrylic

H2O_intolerant;220770 said:

Lol!

I flame polished a bit today as well as cutting some small stuff. I'll try bending with the torch tomorrow if I get a chance. I have 1/2" stuff though.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
not much to photo, 3x5" pieces. I 'll snap a few tomorrow if I get a chance. Everything is at work with my tools. Many meetings tomorrow but i'll try.

daverf

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
H2O_intolerant;220770 said:

Nah, she kicked em off after the great sump flood of aug 2012. so i've got dibs on a new pair after Kalgra gets his cat neutered

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Check out Eric Drew's videos on scmas site. He is the one that taight me how to build my sump and tank.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

WatercolorsGuy;220767 said:
I have made a few items out of acrylic. To bend I just used a cheap propane torch.
I would say that's the smartest way to do it, If you do it inside the fumes could be dangerous or toxic to other pets (more particularly birds) and with a propane torch you'd have more control over which area gets heat. Good Idea!

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
DIY acrylic

Here's a couple of pics of flame polished edges, and my attempt to weld. I need some practice. I rounded the edges a bit so I have bubbles on the edges. Not too bad though. This is goona be fun!

I could also trim my nails and wash the clay off my hands. Lol

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
MartinsReef;220837 said:
Check out Eric Drew's videos on scmas site. He is the one that taight me how to build my sump and tank.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
thanks for the link, very helpful.

Jamie, If I actually get thing built I'll host a meeting and build something. I need a lot more practice and mistake making to be considered any kind of authority. :madgrin: