DIY LED fuge lights

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have been searching around for alternatives to $60 lights for the back of my AIO fuge to grow chaeto. Found these strips for 6 bucks each and they are driven by micro USB power supplies. (got a ton of those around) 6500K and 5 watts each. 10 inches long. I know the temperature is right, but is that enough wattage?

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
Probably, maybe do 2 just to make sure. You can find 10w LED bulbs at HomeDepot/Lowes for $7 so not sure the benefit of going with the strip other then space.

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
It is a space issue. I looked around both HD and Lowes and couldn't find anything in the right light spectrum or size. I will have only about 2 inches between the rear of the tank and the wall.

I bought a 10 W underwater pond bulb and put it grows chaeto like crazy. Its very bright and tiny. Its in my second chamber on my solana. i'll try to find a Google picture. I can't for the life of me remember where I ordered from.

Fourthwind;n638844 said:
Nice! Wondering if it will fit with the media basket?? Might just have to order one and find out.
It will, but you might have to make some small mod. I had to make a cut so the wire could fit through my first basket but that was all. I ordered an extra bulb as well just in case.