Diy probe holder

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Decided to throw a probe holder together. Always wanted to do this got some more essential things done on the tank yesterday and instead of trying to update my big build thread like I should here is this!

Anyway. This is definitely a prototype.

Started out with some acrylic I forget how thick this block is but I digress

Drilled three different size holes to see what size I need in the future. Drilled the end and tapped (first time tapping. Easier than expected) got appropriate nylon screws.

Glued a few magnets on. These are epoxy magnets and sit above the water level. Hopefully stay out of the water. (I don't trust the epoxy) these are weak though. Not meant for my 3/8 to 1/2in thick acrylic sump.

Refined skinnier non prototype cut of acrylic. Hopefully get 4 probes in here including super fat apex temp probe. Without having to feed backwards.

This is the magnet I'm going to use. Much thicker MUCH MUCH stronger. Not epoxy so ill incase this one.

Finished prototype
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160730/923b92fbec2e9128faea4a49edc5cc73.jpg[/IMG

In my sump well see how it works..
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160730/1787b10d8f7e9a52d187a5a542200d48.jpg

Only other thing I see maybe an issue is acrylic as we know warps around water. I worry the holes will swell and make the screws worthless. Perhaps polycarbonate or another white material. Hmm.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
projectx;n655720 said:
Nice, gives me a few ideas for mine. Acrylic is as much fun as it is a pain the ....
+1