DIY Steel Stand

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am having Ken (High Plains Reefer) build a steel stand for a 180 gallon and have a few questions regarding steel. I know absolutely nothing when it comes to welding and steel stands except from what I've read on the forums. The designs seem to be fairly similar for all tanks it looks like. What I would like to do is have the front be at least 40" without any braces. With that being said what is the minimum size steel square tube and minimum gauge of steel I should be looking at in order to go without a middle brace for a 6 foot span? I've seen many used 1.5" x 1.5" (11 gauge, 1/8") for tanks that are 180 gallons.
Something like this:
View attachment 18341

Would something like this work if I went with a smaller gauge steel, say 14 gauge?
View attachment 18342
I thought of this setup because I came across this ad on CL for some pretty cheap steel and was wondering if it would be possible to use this in my build? Would it provide more support if I was to have the 2" sides facing out for the horizontal segments? If this is too thin, would it be possible to have more vertical supports and still be sufficient to hold the tank up?
http://denver.craigslist.org/for/4307509766.html

Anyone know of any place/person where I can get steel at a good price?

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I buy all my steel a Dencol. Personally i would use 1.5" x1.5" 11gauge square tube steel. I tend to go overkill on things but if it were my stand and i wanted a 6' span without center bracing id just make the top frame out of 1.5"x 3" rectangular tube or throw in 1-2 more horizontal 1.5"x1.5" spans along the top.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Craigar;299098 said:
I can usually get you a good price on steel through my work

Can you get me pricing for 1.5" x 1.5" 11 gauge and 1.5" x 3" 11 gauge? Thanks.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
How much for 20' for each? Still need to finalize the exact length I will need depending on my final design.

Craigar;299100 said:
They will come in 20' lengths how many lengths of each

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anybody have any suggestions with this design using 1.5" x 1.5" 11 gauge steel tube?
[attachment=66505:name]

Would I still need to double up on the top frame?

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would do two braces in the back and then in the front you could stack two 1.5x1.5" pieces on the front top piece and not have any braces on the front at all

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Craigar;299116 said:
I would do two braces in the back and then in the front you could stack two 1.5x1.5" pieces on the front top piece and not have any braces on the front at all

Something like this?
[attachment=66506:name]

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Craigar;299123 said:
Truthfully you could eliminate the two supports in the front
Like this then?
[attachment=66507:name]

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I personally think that would be strong enough if everything's perfectly square all the wieght will be straight down. Each corner will have approximately 400 lbs on it I think you can get that pretty easy if you worry about it at all get one stick of 1.5x1.5x1/8 for the 4 corners.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I might suggest a gusset plate instead of the angled tube. Also, if you need front support for a skin, then you can make them to bolt on so that you can have the whole front open to get a huge sump in and out