DIY Tall Stand

Needed a stand to wrap around a pillar on my wall so the tank can be flush to the pillar but allow some work room behind it and make it look more uniform with the wall, and also wanted it to be significantly higher then my current stand so the tank will be much more at my eye level.. The top of this stand measures at 51", with a 17" tank height sitting on top of it.

I am by no means a carpenter or furniture maker, but a jig saw and a few decks of sand paper and stain can go a long way if you have the patience. I found some instructions online for a sturdy framed design and just tweaked them for my needs and shape. I tried to mimic japanese burnt wood in the finish, because I always think of my system similarly to a bonsai tree (reef) garden, and have always liked that theme and style.

Getting closer to the finished color, a greysih charcoal. Stain, sand, stain, sand, stain, sand.....

Will post more pictures when I get the cabinets on and the tank on top.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Ya, nice work, looking good.

Finished product! Been a few weeks and its still rock solid and leve so I must have done something right. :chuncky:

Tank is at perfect height for my viewing now