djkms' 225 SPS Dominant build thread

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Awesome.
Does that angel and the moorish idol leave everything alone in the tank? Or do they pick at things here and there?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well today my tanks 1st birthday! I hope to get a video and pics up soon.

On another note, I have been having troubles with SPS colors pretty much ever since I set up this 225. I always wondered why, parameters were pretty much always spot on and I religiously did my maintenance. So trying to figure things out i picked up a bottle of Fauna Marin Multi reference solution. Here are my results:

Reference vs Salifert
dKH 6.7>6.7
CA 422>410
MG 1314>1290
NO3 10>4.5

Reference vs Hanna Checker
dKH 6.7>6.88
PO4 .2>.018

Needless to say, I think I found my problem(s). First off Salifert NO3 is giving a lower reading than the reference. Even worse, my Hanna Checker is WAY off. Who knows what my PO4 level is? Hopefully its just the batch of packets I used and not the checker itself. I ordered another 25 packets and the Hanna reference solution which should be here Wednesday. I am also going to borrow another checker/packets to see if there is any difference there as well.

This is actually pretty good news because it explains why I have been struggling so hard for SPS color. Here I thought my macros were taking up most my PO4, I have only been changing out my GFO every 6-8 weeks in my heavily stocked tank.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bajamike;278756 said:
I also had a bad batch of packets I bet the new ones will be ok

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Do you use the Low Range Phosphorous or Phosphate? Did yours read low? I use the phosphorous and convert to phosphate...

Thanks Mike.

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Low range and it was reading way high. Bought a new box of packets and came in line with other test kits

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well its been a while since I updated this thread so here it goes.

For starters I had to take the Moorish Idol out. Just like my last one it decided to turn my reef into a buffet after being pretty good for a year.

I also removed all my caulerpa from the system, figured this was one of the reasons I struggled with SPS coloring.

I also started dosing Iodine per a recommendation from another reefer, going to see if I see any changes. I am also in the process of bringing my potassium up. I havent tested it in a year and it has dropped 30 points. Previously it read 400, now it reads 370. About another week and it should be back up to 400. Needless to say, a reduction in potassium leads me to believe the corals are using it and from my research it really helps with blues and purples.

I also cataloged and took photos of all my inhibits. Here is a recent FTS and some random pictures: