Do i believe Salifert or Red Sea Calcium test kit? Two very different readings?

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
tested my calcium today with Salifert test kit and Red Sea test kit. Salifert is reading 490 and Red Sea is reading 410. Thats a huge difference. The Salifert expires 6/18 and the Red Sea Expires 9/16. the Rea Sea Calcium reagent looks a little funky. there is some white pieces floating in it, which concerns me. it almost looks like its precipitating? which is strange if it isnt expired till 9/16. if it is precipitating than that explains the lower reading. Which should i believe? has anyone experienced precipitating test kits?
thanks guys

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
For these hobby tests that isn't that far off. Both in range... Probably consistently off a bit. Just keep steady.

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Dr.HarlemTutu;332595 said:
For these hobby tests that isn't that far off. Both in range... Probably consistently off a bit. Just keep steady.
Have you noticed any precipitating in any test kits? I think im gonna go with the Salifert since thats the one ive been using to test the Calcium for 6 months or more. I just have the Red Sea for a backup and will use it once i run out of the Salifert. Just thought it was quite a different reading from one to the other.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You shouldnt see precipitation in the red sea. I have never seen that in any of mine. Send an email to their support and they will probably send you a replacement bottle.

crustytheclown

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;332614 said:
You shouldnt see precipitation in the red sea. I have never seen that in any of mine. Send an email to their support and they will probably send you a replacement bottle.
Good idea. Ill do that!