Do I really need 60 snails?

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Do I really need 60 snails?

I have maybe 20 hermits, 8 snails and a couple fighting conch in my 120. No algae whatsoever.

Lmao that's funny. I know I shouldn't laugh but the idea of snail warfare cracks me up. Sounds like a few snails and one hermit should do me fine then.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
holy crap! 60 snails for a 29 gal?? you wouldn't have room for corals, which'd be fine since you couldn't see them, either, because of all the snails on your glass.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Do I really need 60 snails?

I would think about 4 trochus, 6 nassarius, a dozen ceriths, and maybe 6 astreas... maybe a conch.

Sent from my C771

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
60 is about right. Now remember thats arbitrary.

Things to think about:
bigger crabs(emeralds and sally lightfoots) = 5 cleaner crew
trochus snails = 3 cleaning crew
star fish depending on size = 2-10 cleaning crew
conches = 10 cleaning crew

1 cleaning crew = a small snail like a cerith or a standard red or blue leg hermit

PS this is my own arbitrary scale base on the 2 cleaner per gallon rule :p

That makes sense haha. I guess they all clean differently so ill probably add a couple and then wait to see what algae forms and get more cuc from there.

I did a custom CUC from reefcleaners for my BC29. I started with mature live rock from Ray, and the CUC from RC, never had my initial spike, and algae has stayed under very good control (except when I let my phosphates get out of wack). I've had the tank 2 years now. Most of the snails he recommended stayed in the sand until after dark, then they hopped on the glass and ate up the algae on the glass. Once I had the sand on the bottom bloom with some algae, and I did a refresh on my CUC through ReefCleaners, and the sand cleaned right up. I also have 2 emerald crabs, and 5 scarlet hermits.