Elite Reef | EcoTech Marine Radion XR30w Sneak Peek

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
EcoTech Marine stopped by with their brand new Radion XR30w LED today, and gave us a personal look at what they can do for our tanks. Suffice it to say that these lights are amazing!

More to come soon...

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
2" from the floor you can see the shape of the pucks. 4" from the floor it disappears and blends into a nice rectangular patch of light.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
what kind of coverage do you think for a 24" tall tank?

adoucette

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Is pricing going to be competitive with the new AI pricing?

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
mikejrice;117185 said:
No, but this light is in a different class from anything AI makes.

I wonder when the Nano Radion is coming...
could you describe the different classes for us? ...how is the ecotech better for coral growth/health than the AI

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
The main difference is color rendition. The RGB abilities of the Radion can do things and create colors that an AI just can't do. That may or may not be a selling point for people because AIs color looks good anyway. The Radion should also penetrate deeper due to having more wattage packed into a smaller area. AI devides their lower wattage into mroe pucks and thus lessens the ability to penetrate. It's like comparing halides. 2 250 watt halides may be more wattage than one 400 watt, but due to the fact that all the energy is coming from a small area, the 400 will go deeper. Then of course there's the fact that Radions can sync with Vortechs. This may not be that huge a deal right now, but I think it's pretty obvious that EcoTech Marine will be putting out more devices in the future that will sync into the system. That's the key to all electronics, and it's about time it hits our market. Dropping the prices is the smartest thing AI ever did because they are now in a different price class which will justify them being in a different feature class. EcoTech replaced AI SOLs at the top of the heap, and AI dropped down into attainable for the average person range. We all win in this case!

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
so are you going to regret getting the orpheks instead of waiting for the radions?

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If I wasn't willing to blow more money on lights and din't have more projects coming up that will need lights, then I would have to say yes. I would regret it! Of course I haven't seen the Orphek yet, so it's color may be really nice as well.

adoucette

Clown Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thank you for the information. I can't wait to see them in person.