Elite Reef | New LEDs!

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
i personally don't trust these guys ...in print i have seen that these are supposed to replace 400w halides and also read 800w halides ...i asked rep at elite reef fest which one it was and he told 500w ....lol...i think they are just pulling numbers out there butt hole and more like bad salesmen than a light manufacturer that i would trust
...of course this is just my opinion

ps. what was age of the halide bulb you used in your test?

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Just get a par meter and check one at the store...

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mckibbonator;106976 said:
Just get a par meter and check one at the store...
? ...mike already did that for us ...i trust his numbers ...its the light distributor i was referring too

Mckibbonator

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
AH, sorry, my miss understanding.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
dv3;106970 said:
ps. what was age of the halide bulb you used in your test?
mikejrice;107030 said:
About six months.
excuse me for my ignorance (if thats the case) but why bother creating two blogs on results that are clearly biased ....or did the UFO have 25,000 hours (1/2 life)on it?

Last edited by a moderator:

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
dv3;107061 said:
excuse me for my ignorance (if thats the case) but why bother creating to blogs on results that are clearly biased ....or did the UFO have 25,000 hours (1/2 life)on it?
It wasn't really meant to be a comparison of LEDs versus MH. It just happened to be the best thing I had test results over a four foot deep tank to compare with. Also, as I understand it, halides decline rapidly in output near the end of their life while LEDs decline consistently in output over their entire life. No matter how you look at it, comparing MH and LED is apples and oranges. It can only serve as a reference point.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
mikejrice;107078 said:
It wasn't really meant to be a comparison of LEDs versus MH. It just happened to be the best thing I had test results over a four foot deep tank to compare with. Also, as I understand it, halides decline rapidly in output near the end of their life while LEDs decline consistently in output over their entire life. No matter how you look at it, comparing MH and LED is apples and oranges. It can only serve as a reference point.
i'm just saying your reference point refers to brand new leds vs. 6 month old (1/2 used or more) MH ...you might want to state it ...thats all

mikejrice

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
dv3;107079 said:
i'm just saying your reference point refers to brand new leds vs. 6 month old (1/2 used or more) MH ...you might want to state it ...thats all
Fair enough. I'll add a note in there.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
sorry to come off as a butt hole im much nicer in person :) ...i think its cool that elite is expanding into the led world